1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Agressive muscovy girl

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rick5070, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Rick5070

Rick5070 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2012
    So we have had these ducks and goose all together for more than a year and the white muscovy has been the sweetest little girl until the last few weeks. A few weeks ago she started being very aggressive toward the other duck and the goose and while she has only charged me once, she regularly attacks and bites at my shoe if I stop moving for very long. None of this is a huge problem yet but I am curious as to whether this is normal or whether I need to look at something. We have not changed food and they all eat like they are supposed to. There have been no changes in how we take care of them and I might think it was because its summer but when we got them it was summer and they always have plenty of water to be in and a different water source for drinking after they eat. So any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any chance she's broody?
    Any recent trauma?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds like she's broody! you checked for nests?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2

5. Rick5070

Jun 4, 2012
    She could be broody. They stopped laying when it started to get hot. No trauma or anything like that. She still lets me handle her and still 'talks' to me she just usually has to blow off some steam first. She never hurts me when she nips at my fingers or shoes and is always gentle.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well aren't you the lucky one, LOL my one broody who isn't even sitting on eggs draws blood when she latches on to me. and she is one of my sweetest ones. Did you look for a hidden nest?

7. Rick5070

Jun 4, 2012
    Thank you I will watch this when I get home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by