Agressive rooster

Isyovi

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
The Netherlands
Last year, we got 4 chicks because we wanted to start keeping chickens. Turned out, 3 of 4 chicks were cockerels. More then a year later, one of them is clearly on top of th hierarchy and started to attack us if we wear the wrong shoes? (he doesn't like bright colours). He also doesn't like my little brother who is very hyperactive and has tried to attack him multiple times. The two other roosters are more busy with each other then attacking us. Everyone in our family wants to get rid of him, i understand but i have a hard time with that since i raised him. Can we do anything else about this problem?

I understand this situation completely, and I am going through it aswell. 3 of our 4 chicks were roos last year and one of them is a silkie- theyre supposed to be the friendliest and he is currently our most aggressive. He jumps onto our backs, pecks us, eyes us, and even flairs out his neck feathers at us. We have yet to resolve this issue, but I have learned to leave them be and let them do as they wish unless they bother you first. When mine come to bother me, I've learned to block their attacks with my waterboots. I also was told to pick them up and hold them for about 5 minutes, it can be hard to catch them or even painful, but it seems to work. I hope you get him under control soon! I'd hate to have to sell my roos.

I understand this situation completely, and I am going through it aswell. 3 of our 4 chicks were roos last year and one of them is a silkie- theyre supposed to be the friendliest and he is currently our most aggressive. He jumps onto our backs, pecks us, eyes us, and even flairs out his neck feathers at us. We have yet to resolve this issue, but I have learned to leave them be and let them do as they wish unless they bother you first. When mine come to bother me, I've learned to block their attacks with my waterboots. I also was told to pick them up and hold them for about 5 minutes, it can be hard to catch them or even painful, but it seems to work. I hope you get him under control soon! I'd hate to have to sell my roos.
Ours are brahma's so they are supposed to be quite calm too, but he is taking things too far. We don't really interact too much with him and he can be normal as well, but some things like some types of shoes just trigger him or something? We do have a rake that he is afraid of. We never really did something with it but i think he finds it scary so we take it with us when the chickens are walking loose to avoid the possibility of having a roo attacking. Thanks for the tip! Will try it as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom