Ah! Help! Blood! But where did it come from???

Soot the silkie

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Humboldt, California
I gave my chickens some scratch in my yard for them to eat. Then when I came back, the scratch was gone, but there was splotches blood all over the sidewalk. I investigated my birds, and they were all perfectly fine. They are about thirteen weeks old, and all pullets. Could they be hacking up blood? They seem very healthy...

Here is the blood. I would really appreciate help with this, if they are throwing it up. Could the scratch have hurt their throats?

I'm not sure but try giving them corid powder in their water. I had blood though not as wet as I see in your pics.

If they don't seem ill and are eating and drinking fine, it seems highly unlikely that that blood was pooped out....there's a lot of it, and it's very fresh. Not mixed with any feces or anything.

Two theories: one of your birds got its toenail caught on something. I have had this happen with my hens. It will rip the nail or injure the toe. The bird will be fine, but there will always be a LOT of blood.

Other theory: your birds got hold of some small critter--maybe a lizard or little snake or something--and killed it and ate it. I have had this happen, too!!

Basically, if they seem fine, they probably ARE fine. Just keep an eye on their poop for awhile. Even the tiniest injury (a ripped comb; a snagged foot) can bleed like crazy.

If they don't seem ill and are eating and drinking fine, it seems highly unlikely that that blood was pooped out....there's a lot of it, and it's very fresh. Not mixed with any feces or anything.

Two theories: one of your birds got its toenail caught on something. I have had this happen with my hens. It will rip the nail or injure the toe. The bird will be fine, but there will always be a LOT of blood.

Other theory: your birds got hold of some small critter--maybe a lizard or little snake or something--and killed it and ate it. I have had this happen, too!!

Basically, if they seem fine, they probably ARE fine. Just keep an eye on their poop for awhile. Even the tiniest injury (a ripped comb; a snagged foot) can bleed like crazy.

Ok well thanks, but it hasn't dried like blood so we think it might be plant juice from the tree above.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom