AHH! Only two weeks until my foal is due! *link to video Pg13!!* EOWYN

WOWEEE those are GORGEOUS horses!!!!

I can't wait now!! Just reading through this thread has me excited too!!

I will be watching and waiting!!! Will you be able to go see him or her when he/she is born??

pop.gif

Much to the chagrin of many I plan on ruining the foal anyway- we're training for western instead of english *the breeders gasp!*. Those european friesian forefathers are turning in their big ol equine graves. lol!!

That's the way I'd go! I only ride western and I would love to see a nice big friesian in a western saddle! Sadly, you don't see too many! I think english is nice and all...but I just love me a good western horse!

I can't wait to see the pictures! My friend has a friesian stallion that he raised from a baby. Bought him the same way you did. He seems like he was a handful, but he did a good job on him. I know he's still training and has been entering him into some different shows.

Congrats! I hope everything goes well with the birth!​

I am not too familiar on friesians as I believe in QHs all the way but wean at 4 months? That doesn't sound good to me, I know it can be done and people do it but I would never recommend weaning that early. I would recommend to the breeders to give a few more months at least, after all you are paying them. I've bred horses for years before and the foals and mares always seemed to do a whole lot better with a later weaning. But that is JMO
smile.png

I am a filly fan, I hope you get a filly
tongue.png

My mare got herself pregnant this year all on her own and had a baby to my surprise. I show/train reining and we are going to try and resume her schedule next week so hopefully she will be able to start earning.

You are going to love owning horses, no doubt. One will NOT be enough
wink.png

And yes, the sire is the sex determiner.

Do the breeders have a stall cam? Do you guys know about MARESTARE? Where breeders put up cams and people all over can watch the foal cams and when the mare starts labor, you call the numbers posted and alert the owner. Then we all could watch her foal your new baby!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope you get the foal of your dreams and he turns out to be everything you've dreamed of.
smile.png

Have you had a good opportunity to work around the dam and other Friesians?

I havent had a chance to be around the dam. But this fall will cue me in on just what to expect from my foal later in life- the seller agreed to take her mare BACK to the keuring so i could get my foal graded at the foot in exchange for me helping handle all her animals while there. Plus I pay the entry fees. Seems like a fair trade to me! I've never been to a keuring and its an EXCELLENT chance to know what and how to do it next time!

If your date of 6-12-08 was the last date she was bred then her due date is

MAY 20

Mares can go early or late, just like people.

eta: The book you guys are referring to, the method, that doesn't really work
wink.png
The sire determines the sex and nothing else can factor in it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know she has closed circuit tv monitoring on the paddocks, but not the web cams. Jeez I wish she did! She promised pictures though. i wish i was there. *sigh*

I totally agree with leaving them on the dam longer. My pick up date was in the contract though. She's got a good history of grown healthy horses out of her mares, so I am not overly worried.

I am wondering if I ought to include some milk replacer powder in some feed for a little while though? You spose? My goal is just to keep it on grass as much as possible- until its a work'n animal.

I saw thos epictures of your unexpected baby btw... ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

One horse is NOT going to be enough. I'd like to get into icelandic and andalusians at some point maybe.

countingdowndays.

Let's see.. book says 6/12/08 should be a filly.....

Now I'm all excited to see what everyone gets... this is worse than hatching eggs!

Of course it is, LOL

I am working on a 'wives tale' on chicken sexing right now LOL I know it isn't really accurate but I want to try anyway.

We waited to find out what our last child was. We had 2 girls already and wanted a boy badly, well my hubby did. I had to have a C-section and I was watching his face while they were cutting the baby out of me. I knew just by watching his face what it would be. It was a boy! He was So happy. It was really fun waiting to find out. That is what makes waiting on foals so exciting to me.

You have already got me excited about your baby. Can't wait to see pics of yours. Our filly just runs and runs and runs and runs!! All over the place. Maybe she will feel this way when it is time to start her LOL

Back
Top Bottom