AHHHHH

thlayli

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2017
Norwalk, IA
I went to set my eggs for lockdown, carefully candeling each, one marking the air sack, adjusting the humidity on my incubator, and putting a grippy surface on the smooth plastic so they don't slip around once they hatch, and as I went to put the eggs back in I noticed one of them had pipped! I'm so scared! Is it likely to get shrink wrapped since I took it out?? It isn't a hole yet, just a little cracked tent in the shell, but now I'm scared!

And, it just occurred to me, but how do I get the chick out of the incubator once it's hatched without threatening the other eggs? Do I just leave it in there? Try to pull an Indiana Jones and quickly lift and replace the lid while snatching the chick with the other hand? Help!!

I went to set my eggs for lockdown, carefully candeling each, one marking the air sack, adjusting the humidity on my incubator, and putting a grippy surface on the smooth plastic so they don't slip around once they hatch, and as I went to put the eggs back in I noticed one of them had pipped! I'm so scared! Is it likely to get shrink wrapped since I took it out?? It isn't a hole yet, just a little cracked tent in the shell, but now I'm scared!

And, it just occurred to me, but how do I get the chick out of the incubator once it's hatched without threatening the other eggs? Do I just leave it in there? Try to pull an Indiana Jones and quickly lift and replace the lid while snatching the chick with the other hand? Help!!
If your room is close to your oven temp.. no worries.:highfive:

I doubt the chick will be shrink wrapped, is the pip really big? You adjusted the humidity, increasing? When the chick hatches, leave them in the incubator until they dry unless it's really crowded, hopefully your brooder is ready. I've read that the chirping will encourage the others. Also read the humidity will rise a bit with the hatching of the chicks. One person said she draped a blanket over herself & incubator to hold the temp/humidity.

Try not to worry, these things happen. Some people constantly open their incubator’s during hatch with no ill effects to the eggs. Opening it ”might” cause shrink wrapping but on the other hand it may not. There is no way to tell for sure. I personally am a non opener but I will open if there is a problem or when the incubator is full of chicks. I leave hatched chicks in there sometimes up to 24 hours and only move them quickly and carefully when I think hatch is done or it’s looking full.

Good luck with your hatch.

One person said she draped a blanket over herself & incubator to hold the temp/humidity.
crazy eyes.gif
crazy nut house.gif

If your in a warm room when you take the chick out it should not be a issue as (this is from my own personal expericence). if it's not overly warm leave him in for a bit and warm the room up. and set up the brooder if it's not already been done. I have had shink wrapped chicks and it's not fun but you can help them if you think they are I know there is a thread here on the site about it. but don't worry to much just keep a eye on them and good luck with your hatch *thumbs up*

I doubt the chick will be shrink wrapped, is the pip really big? You adjusted the humidity, increasing? When the chick hatches, leave them in the incubator until they dry unless it's really crowded, hopefully your brooder is ready. I've read that the chirping will encourage the others. Also read the humidity will rise a bit with the hatching of the chicks. One person said she draped a blanket over herself & incubator to hold the temp/humidity.

No, it's a little crack in the shell pushed a tiny bit outward. No hole or zipping. And I increased the humidity setting. This is my very first ever experience with incubating eggs, so im going a little bonkers!

Back
Top Bottom