Air cell on wrong end of egg.

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
So my eggs air cells are all on the pointy end.. I haven’t started them in the incubator yet but I was just wondering why they are on the wrong end and if I can reverse it. (Khaki Campbell Duck eggs and the big end has a tiny air cell but the pointer end has a bigger air cell) I’ve been storing them pointy end down. Would that effect it? image.jpg

So my eggs air cells are all on the pointy end.. I haven’t started them in the incubator yet but I was just wondering why they are on the wrong end and if I can reverse it. (Khaki Campbell Duck eggs and the big end has a tiny air cell but the pointer end has a bigger air cell) I’ve been storing them pointy end down. Would that effect it?View attachment 2664118
Are all your eggs like this?

Did you get any answers on this? I have an incubator full of duck eggs and a few guinea eggs. The Khaki Campbell eggs have the air sac at the pointy end and the guinea eggs it’s at the broad end. I’m a bit concerned now as whether or not my eggs will hatch or not. They are due in 6 days.

oh looks like this post was overlooked and the answer is a bit late but that isn't actually the air cell in the picture. As described the air cell was the "and the big end has a tiny air cell"

Air cells are little bobbles of air. If you wobble the eggs about you should notice this just like if you fill a water balloon and leave a little bit of air, if you hold the water balloon up to some light and wobble the water balloon about you should always be able to identify the air bubble as it will move slightly differently to water and have a distinctive bubble shape.
An egg usually has 3 distinctive area's the air cell, the egg yolk, and a clear egg white area at the bottom

Did you get any answers on this? I have an incubator full of duck eggs and a few guinea eggs. The Khaki Campbell eggs have the air sac at the pointy end and the guinea eggs it’s at the broad end. I’m a bit concerned now as whether or not my eggs will hatch or not. They are due in 6 days.
Okay, so I got an answer and it looks like they were saying it wasn’t the aircell. But in your situation I had a duckling that was supposed to hatch in 3 days and it’s aircell was saddle shaped and not looking good. I have no problem with assisting even thought a lot of people say not too, but if I can save it I’m going to save it. So I would assist if it still looks like that while the egg is hatchinging. It will be fine until it internally pips. Also the air cell should get pretty big in the last couple days. Could you post a picture?

Okay, so I got an answer and it looks like they were saying it wasn’t the aircell. But in your situation I had a duckling that was supposed to hatch in 3 days and it’s aircell was saddle shaped and not looking good. I have no problem with assisting even thought a lot of people say not too, but if I can save it I’m going to save it. So I would assist if it still looks like that while the egg is hatchinging. It will be fine until it internally pips. Also the air cell should get pretty big in the last couple days. Could you post a picture?
After you mentioned that you were told it wasn’t the air cell, I went back and candled them again and sure enough, you were right. What I was seeming was the yolk end of the egg. So the air sac is in the right end. I feel stupid now. 😄

Back
Top Bottom