Air cell size with dry incubation.

Chicken-Dave

Chirping
Mar 18, 2017
Central Indiana
I have read a few threads on here about dry incubation and decided to try it. I just did my 7 day candling and my air cells are huge. Like as big as 18 day air cells using the classic picture for air cell measurement. Since this method uses low humidity it stands to reason the air cell will be larger and then it will shrink later when you increase humidity. Right? Wrong? I had 4 that looked infertile so I cracked them open. The membrane was very dry on a couple. My hygrometer says 40-49% pretty much all the time, but it is one of the Styrofoam incubators. I am hatching EE eggs, which have a much thicker shell and are difficult to candle, but could the air cell be different also? Anyhow. Please help.

No, dry hatching is done in places that don't require more water in the incubator to get to the humidity level needed for adequate air cell growth. For example where I am 30% humidity is what I need for my air cells to progress properly. So in winter when the outside humidity is really low, I need to add water to my incubator to get the humidity right. In the summer when it's higher I don't so I dry incubate.

You still want the air cells to progress as they normally are supposed to. Air cells never shrink back down after they grow. The egg never regains moisture that it's lost.

Are you sure that your hygrometer is correct? There's no way air cells should have gotten to look like day 18 air cells in seven days with a humidity of 40 to nearly 50 percent.

How old are the eggs? Were they shipped?

Last edited:
The eggs were not shipped. I bred for 7 days and they have been in for 7 days so the oldest is 14 days. I am wondering if I am seeing the egg white. My EE eggs are very hard to see through. I just pulled one out a second time and there is maybe a faint small ring at the top. It's just so hard to tell with these shells. They are harder and thicker than any of our other chickens.

The few I cracked for infertility looked just like regular eggs a full white. I think that might be it. I think I just can't see through them. Boy, this is going to be fun.

The few I cracked for infertility looked just like regular eggs a full white. I think that might be it. I think I just can't see through them. Boy, this is going to be fun.

Yeah, blue and green eggs are really hard to see into. I used a really high powered small flashlight on mine to be able to see what's going on and it's still hard.

I'm going to hold for seven more and see if I can see any better. I think the cell may be right but just hard to spot due to the shell. Hopefully the larger air cell will be easier to spot in 7 days. Sorry for the false alarm. Lol

No, dry hatching is done in places that don't require more water in the incubator to get to the humidity level needed for adequate air cell growth. For example where I am 30% humidity is what I need for my air cells to progress properly. So in winter when the outside humidity is really low, I need to add water to my incubator to get the humidity right. In the summer when it's higher I don't so I dry incubate.

You still want the air cells to progress as they normally are supposed to. Air cells never shrink back down after they grow. The egg never regains moisture that it's lost.

Are you sure that your hygrometer is correct? There's no way air cells should have gotten to look like day 18 air cells in seven days with a humidity of 40 to nearly 50 percent.

How old are the eggs? Were they shipped?

Same here. My goal humidity is normally 30% and during late fall through early spring if I incubate I have to add a wet sponge to hold it there. Are you candling down into the air cell from the fat round end? That is the only way to get an accurate look at the air cell. Candling anywhere under the air cell will illuminate the albumen which many mistake for the air cell and think it's large. If you have a digital LG incubator and are going by the bators display you are probably seeing a false reading. Many of those stay at 45-55% with or without water and are rather useless. Make sure you have your own verified thermometers and hygrometers inside the incubator. The LGS are also known to be off 2 degrees or more in temps.

Back
Top Bottom