Air Gun for Dispatching Raccoons?

Get him in a trap, put the trap in a heavy duty lawn bag, and wrap the bag opening to your tial pipe with duct tape. Less mess that way. If you are ok with the cost of the pellet gun, it will work fine.

Quote:
you are probably going to find most localities will treat an air rifle as a firearm be careful do not get caught and above all do not post what you are about to do on a public forum our state vet reads our state chicken board and our game wardens read our hunting and trapping boards
smile.png
I shoot a lot of critters year round for a coon/fox size animal vand smaller I would use nothing smaller then a .22 short for coyotes and up close in ( <50 Yards) a .22 magnum works good there are lots of ways to kill things quietly I dispatch furbearers/nuisance animals in town a lot of days

I have a RWS air rifle that would easily dispatch a raccoon. The air rifle is louder than my .22 rimfire with CCI CB rounds. Here in IL the RWS is considered a 'firearm' because it fires pellets at over 750 fps so there's no advantage to using it over the .22 rimfire.

Quote:
Now here`s a great solution for ya. The .22 with .22 CB Shorts is definately quieter than an air rifle and much more suited to the job. Best used in a bolt action gun. Been trapping and shooting coons, etc. for years with these CB Shorts and never had a neighbor even notice. Sounds like a twig snapping. And, a whole lot cheaper than a $400 air rifle.........Pop

Quote:
Now here`s a great solution for ya. The .22 with .22 CB Shorts is definately quieter than an air rifle and much more suited to the job. Best used in a bolt action gun. Been trapping and shooting coons, etc. for years with these CB Shorts and never had a neighbor even notice. Sounds like a twig snapping. And, a whole lot cheaper than a $400 air rifle.........Pop

using my ruger mk IV i never heard the action work until I used this type of shell the gun makes more noise then the shell going off
smile.png

I live where I can shoot them, so I don't have your problem. Another option for you, seeings how the Raccoon can be traped in a cage. Is once the Raccoon is in the cage, you can drowned them by placing the coon and trap in a body of water.

Walmart, Beeman interchangeable barrel (22/177) .22-850 fps/177-1000 fps, with good Beeman scope, around $100. I use nothing but the .22 barrel and aim at eye, ear or heart on coons. Works for me. I have also used an old single shot 22 rifle with CB caps - it may be quieter than the air rifle. I swear you hear the firing pin hit the rim. I believe the CB cap has a much heavier projectile for greater penetration.

I had that walmart beeman interchangable barrel gun.It was decent.Pretty darn heavy gun too. My neighbors were freaking everytime I went outside with the gun,so I ended up taking it back.Silly thing is I heard some of my neighbors HAVE guns themselves.Guess you can have them but not shot them...in the yard.Grrrrrrr city living.

Back
Top Bottom