air sack??

the1much

Currently Birdless Hippy
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
with maurice, the original space-cowboy
in the first week of incubation,,, is the air sack suppose to be on the small end,, the end that is down in the rack?
man ya would think i would know this,,, but the wifers does the candling and i looked in tonight and see the sack on the bottom
hmm.png

No. I think the usual suggestion when it is on the wrong end is to lay that egg down on it's side, hand turn it, and don't hatch it in a carton. The chick may pip at either end.

Were the eggs shipped? Are you certain it is the small end? I know some eggs it can be difficult to determine the big end from the small end, so that's why I ask. But if it's all of them, they could have been stored "little end up" incorrectly. I would lay them down too - especially with chicks growing in them. Good luck Jim.

Jody

nope not shipped,,, their my eggs,, and from the minute i got them, its been small end down,from the minute i got them in the house, then small end down in the carton, and in the fridge, then i tilt the cartons from side to side 3 or 4 times a day,,,,,,,,, nother "maybe" do ya think we just dont know,, and are seeing the egg white, and not seeing the air sack,,, man i cant believe im this "simple" hehe
wink.png

and before i forget,,, THANK you all for the quick responses,, man im starting to sweat to think all 30 eggs are messed up,, and ALL fertile.

EDIT: theres only a few of my games that are hard to tell small end
roll.png

Last edited:
Have you ever candled before? It is possible you're just not sure what you're seeing. How many days have them been in the bator?

Jody

no i havent candled,, but wifers has,,, and their a week old now ,, im hoping im just freaking out,,and all our other hatch's has been in them stupid LG's, and we loose most of them in the last week, and got me thinking that maybe we're doing SOMETHING wrong,,, (even went and bought a new GQF just cause i was tired of seeing the eggs ALMOST make it,, then when i saw this tonight, i was thinking if thats what i am actually seeing, that the last week the embryo was probably "falling" into the airsack,, and that is the cause of all our problems.,,,,,,,,,,
i guess i need to REALLY study the candling pics,,, maybe my old worn out eyes just cant see the sack
sad.png

im sorry guys for all this,,,, %#%^&*^ hippies like me oughta be recycled :|

I'd wait a few more days and give it another try. Make sure the room is good and dark..that helps you to see the bright light through the air sack better. Shine your light source thru the big end. You should see the air sack quite clearly and the developing chick with a vein network feeding down to it from the air sack. Let us know how it goes. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.
wink.png

Jody

Back
Top Bottom