Air temp too cold for chicks?

Kraemer7

Chirping
May 9, 2021
Hi! We’re getting chicks next week. We live in vermont and our barn coop is sometimes in the 25-40 degrees these past few weeks. I have 2 brooder heat plates setup but is that still too cold? Last year we had our chicks in our house because the electricity in the barn wasn’t setup yet. I could also put them in our 1 heated barn room, where it’s closer to 50-55, or in my sons room again, but he wasn’t really happy about the mess.

Chicks will be fine regardless of those temps as long as they can duck under a heat source to replenish lost body heat. I brood my chicks outdoors in my run, and chicks are active in cold temps during the day while they are consuming calories. They occasionally duck under the heating pad I rig on a frame, but they dart back out again as soon as they warm their little bones.

I am using an "Ohio Brooder" to keep mine warm. I have seen people in Canada use them with sub-zero temps (Fahrenheit) with great success. The one I built takes a couple hours to build but I'm getting 80+ degree temps through any given evening. The hot plates also work well if you can set them up in a room that is 50+ degrees F ambient.

Glad I came across this thread! I just moved my 2 week old chicks out to the coop in their brooder today. (The dust in the house was getting old really fast!) I was kind of freaking out because it's still a little chilly at night 2°C (35F) overnight tonight. But I have a brooder plate and also a seedling heating mat in there in two different areas. I did have a heat lamp above them today, but I don't want to mess with their sleep cycles so I unplugged it and am hoping they all cuddle under or on one of their heat sources and do ok their first night out. 🤞

They were definitely enjoying the new view of the world and the jungle gym I made them today. And I am enjoying my less dusty house.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_185207019.jpg
    IMG_20220425_185207019.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 46
Glad I came across this thread! I just moved my 2 week old chicks out to the coop in their brooder today. (The dust in the house was getting old really fast!) I was kind of freaking out because it's still a little chilly at night 2°C (35F) overnight tonight. But I have a brooder plate and also a seedling heating mat in there in two different areas. I did have a heat lamp above them today, but I don't want to mess with their sleep cycles so I unplugged it and am hoping they all cuddle under or on one of their heat sources and do ok their first night out. 🤞

They were definitely enjoying the new view of the world and the jungle gym I made them today. And I am enjoying my less dusty house.
Omg adorable! The one perching is too cute 🥰 sorry thats all I have to add🤣

Super cute! Yea, mine have been in our barn since we got them at a few days old. As long as they can go under the heater I think it’s ok. Our barn is in the 40s when the outdoor temps are in the 20s-30s, which it has been in vermont at night. So far so good! We had ours in the house last year and it was such a mess!

Super cute! Yea, mine have been in our barn since we got them at a few days old. As long as they can go under the heater I think it’s ok. Our barn is in the 40s when the outdoor temps are in the 20s-30s, which it has been in vermont at night. So far so good! We had ours in the house last year and it was such a mess!
I went to check on them before bed last night and they were all piled on the heating pad (squished as tight as they could be) I think my brooder plate was raised a bit too high for them to be warm while sleeping (they were running in and out of it and super happy all day, but it wasn't the right height for night) luckily I went out and checked on them. I ended up plugging the red heat lamp back in and they got more comfortable right away. Hoping it didn't have them up playing all night. 😂

Back
Top Bottom