ALABAMA!!

Hello all, New to chickens and the site. I live in Warrior,AL. (bLount,Co.) just getting started but have my incubator good to go I think and about to start building the coop.

Hello all, New to chickens and the site. I live in Warrior,AL. (bLount,Co.) just getting started but have my incubator good to go I think and about to start building the coop.
welcome-byc.gif
and the Alabama!! thread!

Not sure which I'll end up with I have a friend who said he'd get some eggs from his inlaws but they have a mix of chichens around including bantams RIR plymoth rock and others so just have to see what I get. After I get started better I'm not sure which I would like to stay with.
I'm starting for eggs and meat so haven't chosen specific breed yet

Not sure which I'll end up with I have a friend who said he'd get some eggs from his inlaws but they have a mix of chichens around including bantams RIR plymoth rock and others so just have to see what I get. After I get started better I'm not sure which I would like to stay with.
I'm starting for eggs and meat so haven't chosen specific breed yet

There are a lot of breeds that great dual purpose birds. I have RIR and BA, but haven't really bred them for meat. My roo from Ideal was just too aggressive and we had to sell him. So, be careful of hatchery birds. All of my Ideal hens are the same way, but the ones I've bred from them are sweet as can be. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

A good idea you could do, would be to get one each of some of the more common breeds like RIR, BA, Plymoth, and Orpington and see which ones you like. I've heard a lot of good things about Orps and I may be adding some myself when I get home.

Last edited:
There's some folks on the Facebook group 'Alabama Back Yard Chicken and Poultry Association' that are in Blount county that sell eggs/chickens. Worth checking out :)

Also, I know it's hard to wait, but I really wouldn't advise starting with chicks in the winter. It's just so cold and they wont be able to go outside for a long time. Starting in spring they can go outside sooner... Hatch them in like February, then they are big enough to go out in March/April. I got my first chicks beginning of February and it all worked out fabulous that way.

Ofcourse, all up to you. Just my two cents.

Also, I know it's hard to wait, but I really wouldn't advise starting with chicks in the winter. It's just so cold and they wont be able to go outside for a long time. Starting in spring they can go outside sooner... Hatch them in like February, then they are big enough to go out in March/April. I got my first chicks beginning of February and it all worked out fabulous that way.

Ofcourse, all up to you. Just my two cents.
I know they won't be able to go outside but the eggs he's getting me there is no guarantee they are even fertile that's why I can get them free then candle them and see if they look like I can give them a try or not. Quail wont be gotten until march and going to getting the birds for eggs and all wont be till later these will just be a test run for the incubator to make sure it works still. I have done quail b4 so hopefully I can get doing the chickens well but will be doing quail as well. but maybe get a bird out of it though. I have raised a rooster inside for about 9 months or so when i was younger but never had any other chickens

Looking for some ducks and geese. Anyone have any their willing to part with? If not now, how about this spring? Oh, I'm on a VERY limited budget btw. I'm in Northwest Alabama. Haleyville specifically. Thanks!

Looking for some ducks and geese. Anyone have any their willing to part with? If not now, how about this spring? Oh, I'm on a VERY limited budget btw. I'm in Northwest Alabama. Haleyville specifically. Thanks!
I just bought some Pekin ducks from a man right down hwy 5 from you. He is just out of Jasper. We bought some 18 week old females for $12.00 each. He may have some chicks in the spring. If your interested, private message me for his email address.

Back
Top Bottom