Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Hi all...we are new to BYC and raising chickens. We got 3 about a month ago and were told they were all hens that had been laying. Turns out that one is rooster, not a hen. He hasn't been harassing the other two hens at all yet and we want to make sure he doesn't. We would keep him, but can't have a rooster in the backyard. We'd be happy to give him to a good home if anyone is interested. If you had a hen and wanted to trade, that would be great!

He is a cuckoo marans. Not exactly sure of the age, but the person we got him from said it was about 8-9 months old. But he also said he was a she, so who knows for sure!

102087_pa020315.jpg

That is most definitely a boy... I"m so sorry. He's a good looking boy! I would post him on CL in the Anch/Matsu area to find a home for him. Welcome to BYC... there are a lot of Alaskans here (and on FB, too).

I was on craigslist the other day and saw chickens out in Chickaloon for sale. They looked like Bonnie's flock. Bonnie, are you selling out?

Quote:
They are mine, but it's only a small flock that's in my 2nd coop. I will be strictly working on the NJs, and if I have a successful hatch I'll have Silver Sussex.

Interested in the Polish/Orloff flock?

No, I'm full up. I have 4 Muscovies, 4 Welsh Harlequins, 3 geese, and about 24 chickens. I'm wishing that I could pare the flock down some more, but we have customers that pay well for fresh eggs. It just about covers their feed.

We drove through Chickaloon this summer. It looked like the store was completely shut down. What ever happened to the new buyer? Did you move up to the off grid house? It didn't look like you had moved the house by the store yet. Is that still in the works? I don't do FB so I feel totally out of the loop.
hmm.png

I have some young white chantelers growing out. Looks like Ive got mostly roos. I have 4 nixed pullets that are crosses that hatched this summer that are absolutely huge. One is Delaware/Dorking. The others are sired by a BIG blue orp roo over Dorking, Orp and Australorp. These girls have made me decide not to keep many pure birds. The crosses are so much bigger than their mothers. We dispatched their 4 hatchmate roos and they were very good sized. I don't have any plans to do Cornish Crosses any time soon so my barnyard crosses will do nicely for meat birds.

Welcome, Newbies!

Hey, I was wondering what Lower-48 hatcheries you all have ordered from and what was your experience?
big_smile.png

Maybe we should start a thread in which each of us can state what breeds we have so that we can take orders and hatch out for Spring. I know what I want, but I don't know if they're here in Alaska already or not.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom