Alaska hatchers..How is everyone doing? Baby pics !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here give their new babies whey or yogurt or some type of probiotics? When and how do you do it?

I got my 50 Cornish X broilers from Welp today. They were in the mail for 2 days. They all arrived in pretty good shap but tired and chilly. They started guzzling water right away and figured out where the food was. Now they are pooping up a storm and running around like a bunch of...well, drumsticks. Paula you are going to be pleased with your birds if they come as nice as these. I am hoping that Sandhill Preservation will mail out my order next week. They are supposed to come express mail so they should have less transit time.

Yep, just got word. The fire is about 4 miles from us but has a few swamps before it could
make it to us.
Paula, Jim won't be home until late tonight but I can see if we can swing in tomorrow? Let me know
what your up to and we'll meet up....

We are very pleased with our Whelp order as well, 175 chicks, only one fatality and that was my fault. I had
set the waterer down on him/her and found it struggling 6 hours later.....talk about heart breaking! They were
here in two days as well. My Mt Healthy hatchery order was here overnight, with priority mail! LOL!

Quote:
Might be a good idea. Since it can't move, it will not be able to get to water or food without help, and we will be gone all of Sunday.
I hope to get a peek at Ashia's eggs in a bit, to see whats up. Yours are two out, and two pips.

I'm serious, I'm thinking when it comes to these Coppers I'm just going to have a broody do it. My broody is
due around the 4th. At least that would be lockdown had it been an incubator.....lol

Quote:
We give ours kefir, but not till they are a bit older. Couple weeks at least.
idunno.gif

I just mixed it into the feed, so they did not end sticky messes.
Since you are doing Kombucha, you can put a few spoonfuls in their water every few days.
We did dose everyone with a drop of regular cod liver oil when they were a couple of weeks old. Had sniffles going on, so I literally used a dropper and put a drop in each chicks mouth.
With the fermented, it can be cut with olive oil to thin it out.
By the way, sniffles were gone the next day.

Last year, the 12 hours before we butchered, and had them off feed, they were given 50/50 water kombucha to drink.
The only thing I will do different this year, is pen them up better, with a tarp on the ground so they cannot fill up on grass. I have no idea why I did not do that last year.

Quote:
I say go for it. Its a lot less stressful!
And they are popping out fast once they start to zip. Shells do not seem tough at all to me.
Mama knows best
wink.png

It does mean you have to wait for broodies to set though.

Quote:
Most the time if your birds have access to regular good old dirt bathes they take care of most
of their parasites. If needed we also add FOOD GRADE DE (Food Grade is the key word here) to our
daily routine. I will dust them myself. In fact Norman, my beautiful, regal Black Copper Rooster was walking
around looking like a ghost today, not to mention a little disgruntled that "mom" handled him!
roll.png

Thanks for the info!! I recently covered the run in sand so I am hoping that will be a big deterent for the little buggers, but it's also nice to have a bit more knowledge in the event that I need it! Thank you!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
to new eggs and thanks for the mite (insect0 info. Mine have access to dust baths but I wasn't sure if that was enough. Will try the DE also.
The chick pics are gorgeous, everyone!
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom