Alaskans

My husband brought them home from Fairbanks last year, I can't remember which feed store he said. They are real nice birds...take confinement really well and extremely cold hardy. I've been real impressed with them. I didn't realize they were that hard to find. Nice layers too!

He would have gotten them from Alaska Feed Company. They've been carrying the buff and red Chanteclers the past couple of years. I really want to get my hands on some white Chanteclers.

Alaska here also. I am gearing up for chicken season. New on the forum and new to fairbanks. So # of chickens to date, 0. Number hopefully by the end of summer, 20? Just one of the myriad questions I have!

hi! I was worried there would not be very many living in alaska.
highfive.gif

Incubatingisfun- I live about 4? mabye 5 hours away from Ancorage

Mine did real well! I got really nervous when it got to -65 though! They made it!! My roo has a little bit of frostbite on his comb, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I'll just adjust the ventilation this year. The chickens, sled-dogs and humans are all extremely happy that it has warmed up though! Last weekend it was the first time in about 3 months that I opened up the pop door on the coop and they spent the whole day outside. The rooster seemed excessively happy to be out in the open, I think he humped every hen I have 2 or 3 times!! LOL!!

When the cold weather struck we just ended up putting our 6 chickens inside...Didn't want to risk them getting too cold out there...

Putting them in your house or just closed them in? I had my little chicken door open for a few weeks cause it was warm enough, but when I tried closing it, I couldn't get it all the way shut because of the frost.

Back
Top Bottom