Albino Chickens

OSUman

GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
I was thinking and I wonder if it would be possible to get an albino chicken? I searched google and everything I found wasnt actually albino but just white.

Quote:
they exist, just have to look for them. Most will have a weaker imune system though.

I've been looking but haven't found any pictures.

Genetics 101

There are different kinds of albinism. chickens have two kinds of albinism associated with the C locus in chickens; one is red eyed and the other is autosomal albinism. As flying monkey stated there is a sex linked albinism that is found at the silver locus and a sex linked imperfect albinism at the silver locus. The imperfect form also has other mutations; five I believe.

Tim

Yep, they definitely do exist... :) We have just hatched 6! Some appear to be the incomplete albino as they have slight touch of pigment, while most are pure white.Good fun and an awesome adventure for us novices in chookland

they exist, just have to look for them. Most will have a weaker imune system though.

This is a common mistake, people think albino animals have a weaker immune system. This is not true at all! The only problem they have is with poor eyesight and also sensitivity to getting sunburnt.

Also in the wild and white albino animal will show up and be easy for predators to see and catch.

I love albino animals for some reason....I have albino corn snakes, budgies, rats, fish, and hamster.

There is no reason why an albino chicken should not exist, but I too have never been able to find a photo of one.

Yep, they definitely do exist... :) We have just hatched 6! Some appear to be the incomplete albino as they have slight touch of pigment, while most are pure white.Good fun and an awesome adventure for us novices in chookland
What cute and unusual chicks!

I am sorry to say that they are not albino though. Albino animals have NO PIGMENT in their bodies. As you can see your chicks have orange legs, feet and beaks. If they were albino these areas would look pale pink, as you can see the blood under the surface of the skin.

I have been told they are a definite type of albino due to the lack of pignment in their eyes. there are an additional 2 to this which have slightly red eyes, opposed to the bright red which these ones have. Either way, I think they are pretty special!

Back
Top Bottom