Albino Chickens

Yep, they definitely do exist... :) We have just hatched 6! Some appear to be the incomplete albino as they have slight touch of pigment, while most are pure white.Good fun and an awesome adventure for us novices in chookland

There not Albino, at least not what I would call Albino.

Albino's lack skin color and from what I can see yours dont lack skin color since they have Yellow shanks.
I would say you have Dominate White chicks with a Diluted Eye Color.
White Leghorns are Dominate White and the Dominate White Gene has been known to Dilute eye color.

Chris

Last edited:
I have been told they are a definite type of albino due to the lack of pignment in their eyes. there are an additional 2 to this which have slightly red eyes, opposed to the bright red which these ones have. Either way, I think they are pretty special!

The person that told you that they were Albinos was incorrect.

You can have Pink and Pearl Eye (white) color in chickens and it not be Albino. I'v see Wheaten Colored birds with Pearl Eye.

Chris

Last edited:
Albino animals have NO PIGMENT in their bodies.
That's actually not true. I believe there are actually four different known kinds of albinism in birds. All though complete albino animals lack pigment there are numerous cases of partial albinism in birds.

albino
al·bi·no

1. (Medicine / Pathology) a person with congenital absence of pigmentation in the skin, eyes, and hair
2. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) any animal or plant that is deficient in pigment

Chris

That definition isn't completely true. Though it's a common myth that albino people are born with red eyes many of them actually have blue eyes. Blue is obviously a pigment which means there bodies does not lack all pigmentation.

That definition isn't completely true. Though it's a common myth that albino people are born with red eyes many of them actually have blue eyes. Blue is obviously a pigment which means there bodies does not lack all pigmentation.
Yes Blue is a "pigment" BUT so is White and Pink if one wants to get technical.

The picture of the chicks just looks like Dominate White chicks that have Diluted eye color. I wouldn't be surprised if when the chicks age the eye color changes to a Pearl color.

Chris

Last edited:
Actually albinos don't have pink eyes. The iris' of their eyes have no pigmentation at all. They appear pink because of light reflecting off the retina.

Yes Blue is a "pigment" BUT so is White and Pink if one wants to get technical.

The picture of the chicks just looks like Dominate White chicks that have Diluted eye color. I wouldn't be surprised if when the chicks age the eye color changes to a Pearl color.

Chris
I wasn't disagreeing with your evaluation of what color the chicks were. I actually believe your dead on those. I was just clearing up the myth that all albinos lack pigmentation in a previous post

Back
Top Bottom