Albino Coturnix

Those have a recessive gene Gen most likely will produce regular colored quail in the future. Just simple genetics that recessive genes come out from time to time. Happens in all living things. I have read studies posted by Texas A&M where they state that there are no true albino quail. I doubt that seriously. If you get one with red eyes that is a true albino I would love to see a picture. I have yet to see one that was not doctored or just red eye from a flash

Attachments

• 8269FD2C-A7D7-435C-8525-8FD542B7C121.jpeg
    8269FD2C-A7D7-435C-8525-8FD542B7C121.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 22
I know this is an old post, but we just got a pic, so if they are still on here they can see it. The bird is 2 days old in pic.
Your bird looks like it has normal shaped eyes! Is it eating and drinking alright?
FF2F8286-C410-4FF0-AEA3-B6E4EE57A247.jpeg
2199A46E-A1BF-494B-ABB2-DEECCBDF3FB3.jpeg
Mine had grossly bulging eyes, and wiggled its head constantly. Never learned to eat, and wouldn’t digest the nutradrench or feed I tried to put in its mouth. Oddly enough, it was the first chick to hatch, and it was so strong it bust out of the egg in a mere 10 minutes after pipping!
I sort of wish he had turned out healthier like the bird in this thread and maybe your chick. He could have been the “indoor buddy” to all my injured birds.

Your bird looks like it has normal shaped eyes! Is it eating and drinking alright?
View attachment 2572140View attachment 2572141Mine had grossly bulging eyes, and wiggled its head constantly. Never learned to eat, and wouldn’t digest the nutradrench or feed I tried to put in its mouth. Oddly enough, it was the first chick to hatch, and it was so strong it bust out of the egg in a mere 10 minutes after pipping!
I sort of wish he had turned out healthier like the bird in this thread and maybe your chick. He could have been the “indoor buddy” to all my injured birds.
She just passed away. She only ate and drank minimal amounts. I think her heart couldn’t support her. We also lost one of the partial albinos this morning as well. Their yolk sacks had obviously run out. There are 2 more with red pupils, but they seem to be eating well Though they are tiny. We will have to wait to see if they survive.

I hatched one a couple of weeks ago. It had red eyes, all yellow. Seemed to be blind in it's left eye and walked strangely to the right. He was culled after failing to learn how to eat and drink on his own, at around a week old. Poor thing.

I’ve had both partial albinos that come from getting 2 copies of the silver gene, and regular albinos. The double silvers are more like ruby or purple eyed birds. Their eyes look dark purple. They are all blind and one had a bulging eye. They feathered slowly and their feathers are thin and dry. The bulging eye one was culled because I had 2 males and couldn’t accommodate both inside. The remaining male is healthy tho blind, he has some kind of lump on his foot since he was a baby but it doesn’t bother him, and he is fertile. The bulging eye one had a very small heart which we noticed when we culled him.

I’ve had 2 normal albinos, bright red eyes, and they both died when their yolk sac ran out I guess. At about 2-4 days old. It starts with droopy wings and quickly worsens.

I watched a YouTube interview with perry schoefield, and he said that when he started many decades ago, there were all kinds of quail mutations, red eyes, blue eyes, pink eyes, one blue one pink etc, so despite what the earlier post said about Texas a&m saying there are no true albinos, there definitely are or were. I believe, that just as with other animals, you could eventually breed healthy and stable, tho blind, albinos. I’ve been crossing my double silver boy to other silvers to try to get some more healthy whites like him, because they have all white meat and taste way less gamey. I’ve read that the jumbo Texas a&ms are also all white meat, but I am currently working on snowie celadons so I don’t have space to order a new group to work on, I’m just sticking to one or two potential white birds each hatch, and once I get the snowie celadons done I’ll sell all the original celadons and will have space for a new project.

Our 4 all passed when the yolk sac depleted Early in day 5. they hard different levels of albinism, only one was full with pale white down and pink eyes and pupils. None got any feather development. It was hard, as the6 were so spunky and engaging. Now we will be more careful when they hatch. we got a poultry drench and it perked up the “runts” from the smallest eggs in the group. They are fine, but tiny. Our Keiki will raise them in a canary cage in her room as soon as they can be off heat. On has a weak foot and won’t be able to handle wire. It will give a lovely bird that would otherwise be culled a happy exhistance and my daughter is too tender hearted to cull just because it isn’t perfect. She always wanted birds in her room as pets, so these 3 will be.

Our 4 all passed when the yolk sac depleted Early in day 5. they hard different levels of albinism, only one was full with pale white down and pink eyes and pupils. None got any feather development. It was hard, as the6 were so spunky and engaging. Now we will be more careful when they hatch. we got a poultry drench and it perked up the “runts” from the smallest eggs in the group. They are fine, but tiny. Our Keiki will raise them in a canary cage in her room as soon as they can be off heat. On has a weak foot and won’t be able to handle wire. It will give a lovely bird that would otherwise be culled a happy exhistance and my daughter is too tender hearted to cull just because it isn’t perfect. She always wanted birds in her room as pets, so these 3 will be.
Watch out, some of the smallest runts have grown into my largest hens! 😉

Here’s a photo of my boy Snowflake, you can see his foot bump, it doesn’t bother him so I leave it alone. I think he may have brittle bones and maybe injured it as a chick. He wasn’t born with it, but it showed up at a couple weeks old. You can’t see his eyes well but they are like a deep purple, you see a red shine when you catch them at an angle. If I shine a light on them I can see the purple ring distinctly from the black center, but bright lights distress him even though he’s blind. Someone in vet school told me that birds sense light with a separate organ or something, so even blind birds will crow or call in reply to the sun rising and day length.

My hands are not giant, he is exceptionally small despite the other snowies being more toward jumbo size than standard size. I’ve done some reading on the double silvers and it seems they are often small, have small hearts and weak legs. I just took this photo, he is over 5 months old, and is the size of my 4 week olds. It doesn’t stop him from getting on hens 3x his size tho lol.
99064992-25B9-4B1E-BF9E-BF2022D164BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom