Albino pigeon question

The father is the one in the nest box and the mom is on the perch. And if you can see in the pic the baby with no fuzz has pink eyes and the one with fuzz had black eyes.
To me it appears there is a patch of darker quills at the tail, so I don't think this is an albino. The pink eyes at birth happen in some of the dilute birds.. like the extreme dilute I believe. So that would mean your cock bird is split for dilute, and this baby is a hen. It will probably be something like a dun splash.

To me it appears there is a patch of darker quills at the tail, so I don't think this is an albino. The pink eyes at birth happen in some of the dilute birds.. like the extreme dilute I believe. So that would mean your cock bird is split for dilute, and this baby is a hen. It will probably be something like a dun splash.
Makes sense. How can you tell the sex at this stage? I'm still struggling with my adult birds!

They are saying that genetically, this would make the baby a hen because that color is sex linked and the only way to get that color from those parents would have to make the baby a girl.
Regarding albinism I don't think that is correct. Albinism is not a color so the albino must carry brown, blue or ash-red - invisible. An albino bird must inheirit the 'al gene' from both parents so not sex-linked. The albinism gene prevents the production of all melanin. :)

Regarding albinism I don't think that is correct. Albinism is not a color so the albino must carry brown, blue or ash-red - invisible. An albino bird must inheirit the 'al gene' from both parents so not sex-linked. The albinism gene prevents the production of all melanin. :)
Understood, however, the post where Old Strain Lover stated that the baby was likely a dilute and therefore a hen is what I was referring to, and was also what CCUK was referring to as that is the post that they quoted.

I think normal white homers (so all white, but not technically albino) have little to no down fuzz as babies as well. That is one way of determining whether it will be a white or not.

Back
Top Bottom