ALERT : Silkie Theft

Quote:
Yes, the dogs did destroy some of the birds.
sad.png

So sorry this has happened to you I hope you husband gets well soon and you find your rooster, I just wonder why they took that rooster and not all the silkies it does not really make sense unless they wanted that rooster for a very specific reason. keeping you and your husband in my prayers.

It's very heart warming to see all of the positive responses from my BYC friends---thank you all. Maybe the thief will read this thread and have a change of heart.
My guess as to why that one bird was stolen is because Lavenders are still not all that numerous...and the person I "suspect" actually tried to buy Frank from me before.
The dogs must be rehomed because this is the second time they have killed and mutilated birds. I know the dogs are just being dogs.....but they can enjoy life with someone who doesn't have chickens.

A special thanks to Judy for posting the pic. Frank is such a handsome man, and his wives do miss him.....

I hadn't wanted to break the news to my husband, because he has so much on him right now, but he phoned while the sheriff was here. Of course he heard them talking in the background, so I had to tell him what happened. At least he's in agreement that the dogs must go.

Thanks to everyone who is keeping an eye open for Frank.

Did you tell the sheriff's folks about the person you suspect? WIthout evidence, they cannot get a search warrant, but that will put the person on their radar, and hopefully they will be able to gather evidence in a legitiate manner.

reading these stories and knowing my neighbors I have decided that my chicken coop door is going to be dead bolted. All other doors are going to have locks on them. I'm not so afraid of them stealing my chickens as I am afraid of them killing them all or letting their dog into my coop.

I had something happen a little bit ago that put me on edge too and I too live in western NC. I had advertised some juvenile birds for sale on a local website and someone pm'd me wanting to know if I have laying hens for sale. I pm'd back and said "not at this time. I have three hens that lay well but I am pretty attached to them, sorry" (I know I shouldn't have said what i had if it wasn't for sale...I know this now)

A couple hours later this same person sent me back to back pm's wanting to know what area I lived in. Now why would he/she need to know since I had already said i had no chickens for sale that they were looking for? They weren't interested in the chickens I actually listed for sale...they wanted laying hens...which like an idiot, I admitted to owning but not being willing to sell. Just wonder if they figured out where I live whether or not my hens would suddenly be "victim" like your silkies....

People are stupid sometimes. And some wonder why I prefer the company of chickens...

Sandy,
I am so sorry..Frank is beautiful...It really makes you wonder about letting people come to your house. It's a shame that it has come to this. If your suspicions are right, considering the value of the bird and his offspring, maybe there is something the sheriff's department can do.

Saying a prayer for your husband..

It's said that no more is put on us than we can handle...keeping you in my thoughts
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom