All 3 Chickens eating Egg?

M Yusuf Suleman

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2021
I have 3 Chickens
  1. A Male Leghorn that is young and started showing brown feathers on his wings.
  2. An Old Brown Hen that looks like it was taken out of that McDonald's Chicken Nugget Box.
  3. A Young White with Black Spots Hen that lays egg. She is mostly Black and her red thing is slightly black. I still call her young, because she lays eggs 1 day and does not the next day and refuses to mate.
Today they all ate broke the egg and they all drank the yolk. How do I stop them?

It might not happen again. If the egg broke by accident they may not know how it broke. Any chickens will eat the yolk of broken eggs if they feel like it.

If they are intentionally breaking the eggs that is different. It's hard to stop once it starts, the best and easiest option is to use roll-away nest boxes.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree, the first time of egg eating is usually a happy accident (from a weakened egg shell) and may not repeat.

Also that fake eggs and collecting often are a great deterrent. Curtains to darken the box and block the direct line of sight to the egg may also help. I use both wooden and ceramic ones from the feed store (in the US).

Laying every other day is an indicator of genetics more than YOUNG age. In fact young layers often lay more often than their norm will be once mature. Laying hormone is also effected by day light hours.. more light means eggs more often. Less light is less eggs (relatively speaking).

There are inserts that can be added to existing lay boxes to make them "roll away".. including videos on the web using paint trays to make it happen. Some examples of the ready made inserts..

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/roll-out-tray-with-flap-for-nesting-boxes

https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/roll-out-tray-with-flap-for-chickbox.html

I would first ensure the diet is proper for strong egg shells and that the hen isn't having issues in that department. An already soft or broken egg is fair game.

Also, note that rats are great at eating and stealing or even just breaking open the eggs and starting this chain reaction. Rodent control is important in many locations!

I've had egg eating happen a few times throughout the years. Using these techniques (not including the roll away nest) have proven effective.

Hope this helps! :fl

They say it's impossible but it's not.
Put a fake Easter egg plastic toy in the cage.
When they try to get in, they will learn not to peck.
Second take eggshells and put in food. Crunch them up. Never allow the chickens to see a shell as food is inside of it.
It will change habit I one day. Make sure if they try to eat a whole egg before you can collect it. Yell at them and say, no! no! Don't eat that here's your food. Take the egg away and give them some grapes.
Or their favorite treat instead.

I have 3 Chickens
  1. A Male Leghorn that is young and started showing brown feathers on his wings.
  2. An Old Brown Hen that looks like it was taken out of that McDonald's Chicken Nugget Box.
  3. A Young White with Black Spots Hen that lays egg. She is mostly Black and her red thing is slightly black. I still call her young, because she lays eggs 1 day and does not the next day and refuses to mate.
Today they all ate broke the egg and they all drank the yolk. How do I stop them?

Back
Top Bottom