All Flock Higher Protein Feed vs. Layer Feed

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We were using layer feed for our hens until we got baby chicks. We then switched all of them to starter/grower feed and supplemental calcium is always available. Now that all of the hens are laying we are trying to decide if we should switch them all over to layer feed or stay with a higher protein feed with supplemented calcium?
I know people do it both ways and I’ve love to hear your thoughts based on your own experiences as to which seems to work best.

I originally went with an 18% layer feed (Nutrena Naturewise Hearty Hen) for my layers, but I've found too many exceptions for layer feed. Don't use in winter when they stop laying. Don't use if you have any cockerels. What about if some are laying and some aren't? What if you have older hens that only rarely lay?

I finally decided to switch to Nutrena's 20% All Flock + side calcium and haven't looked back. You can feed it all year, to both sexes and even if some pullets are laying in winter while older hens take a break. At 20%, I'm not concerned about them eating greens when they free range and potentially diluting their protein intake. The only exception is needing grower crumble when I bring in new chicks until they are large enough to share the pellets.
---
I've come to the conclusion that layer pellets are really designed to make factory egg production easier. They generally have the absolute minimum protein (16%) and you don't have to switch on/off the layer feed if you put them on it as soon as they start laying, keep them under artificial lighting through the winter and when they slow down/stop, they are dispatched. Backyard flocks have more complicated needs.

I use Purina's all flock feed too, 20% protein, and crushed eggshell on the side. Works for all ages and kinds of chickens. I've never used layer feed and never will. I don't like the idea of the flat-rate pre-added calcium - their needs vary a lot throughout their lives, so a flat rate isn't a good idea long-term. And the protein content in layer feeds is usually too low. My chickens have been doing great.

This is what I use as a compromise between sub-par layer and very high 22%. I had been using 22% based on BYC recommendations but my local chicken lady where I get my chicks (she formerly worked at Privett,) argues with me that protein to high is also bad, it can cause them to grow to fast and have reproductive issues. So... I split the difference with 20% Kalmbach.... :oops::idunno
Too high protein is hard to find on your typical chicken aisle. The studies which tried to induce health defects in chicken from excess protein were in excess of 30%cp. You aren't going to find that on the typical shelf, and you won't find it priced comparably to an All Flock.

There are some studies claiming high CP (over 24%) is associated with increased incidence of Angel Wing in young ducks, though less frequently than excess carbs - but I can't find the research which initially established it. Its been repeated in relatively modern studies, but seems "poorly sourced". Even so, I don't feed my ducks over 25%, just in case.

There is a high incidence of problems in Cx, who are fed high protein, but that has a lot more to do with the breeding of Cx than the feed. The specialty feed for meaties only makes growing as fast as their genetics will allow possible, it doesn't cause it - or all my mutts would be a decent table weight at 8 weeks...

Back
Top Bottom