All-Male Peacock Bevy?

flipflap

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2020
Does anyone have experience or advice on an all male peacock bevy? I have a 6-acre wooded ranch, I want the birds to be free-range . I have three male IBs (9 mo) now and am contemplating whether to keep them all or reduce to less males and get a female. Or keep three males and add a female. Is there any downside to an all male group?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200128_113651.jpg
    20200128_113651.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 11
I have a 6-acre wooded ranch, I want the birds to be free-range .
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

To be clear, I do not keep pea fowl and am just a general poultry enthusiast. It's my understanding however that peacocks will NOT stick around, FREE RANGE without a peahen to court.

Seems like maybe @casportpony might keep peas, unless I'm just being teased by the avatar I remember seeing. :confused:

6 acre wooded ranch... sounds ALMOST like heaven, congrats! :cool:

With chickens, I would never keep a single female with multiple mates as she'd be sure to face too much mating. I'm not sure how that would work out for peas... but here to learn as much as can, hope ya get some great replies. :pop

Male peafowl kept in a single sex group will very likely wander off in order to find mates you'd need a number of females to keep them around. I also would not recommend free ranging in a wooded lot. To many predators around.

Groups of peacocks will not fight unless there is a hen with them either penned or free ranged. With free-ranging peafowl there is always a risk of a cock or hen wandering off, it is just nature. I free range 15 or so of both sexes, young and old and it is rare that any of them wander but they come back in a few days. We also have livestock guardian dogs so we don't worry much.

Back
Top Bottom