All my chickens have died!

Vets who handle birds are rare but yes. A vet or a university could do a necropsy. My self I would have opened one up and checked for anything obvious first.

Oh no, is there a preventative measure I can take to keep this from happening again?
Avian influenza is a very serious case that is spreading, the best way is bio security measures in general, covering a run so no wild birds get in or wild birds poop in the run, and dont bring in new birds during this time.

Vets who handle birds are rare but yes. A vet or a university could do a necropsy. My self I would have opened one up and checked for anything obvious first.
Thank you for the information. Perhaps I could examine one, and if I see nothing obvious, I will try to send the other in somewhere. I have done this once before to confirm a suspected tumor, but I figured if all had died, that wasn't the issue. I just don't want this to be a recurring thing if it's contagious or parasitic. I'm still relatively new to this.

No lethargy or off their feed? Did they just drop dead of their perch or were they head back wings arched? Anything like that?
There were no signs at all. They were perfectly normal one day, and we'd find them dead in the chicken run the next. I did see one in the act of dying. It happened so fast. She just stopped and huddled up, tucked her head in for a little while, and then dropped dead.

Back
Top Bottom