Weird egg?

Username22

Hatching
Mar 20, 2024
So one of my chickens has been laying some unique eggs. From soft to long and skinny. I assumed she was eggbown but I cant figured out which chicken is laying like this and non of them seem sick or lethargic or are showing signs on their fluffy butts. This morning I go to collect and this was in the egg nest.. it kind of looks like it was supposed to be an egg or ???? I have no idea! Any suggestions on what this could be or how to figure out which chicken is laying like this. Or is this even an egg?? Thanks yall

Update: opened it up and it definitely had yolk in it

Attachments

• 20240320_114349.jpg
    20240320_114349.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240320_165111.jpg
    20240320_165111.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. The lower part looks like poop, but the other could be from the intestines or an abnormal egg. Can you cut it open, and take another picture? Is the hen acting normally, or are any acting lethargic or weak?

Do you feed a layer type feed, and do you have crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium? Has there been any frequent sneezing or symptoms of a mild respiratory infection lately?

Welcome to BYC. The lower part looks like poop, but the other could be from the intestines or an abnormal egg. Can you cut it open, and take another picture? Is the hen acting normally, or are any acting lethargic or weak?

Do you feed a layer type feed, and do you have crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium? Has there been any frequent sneezing or symptoms of a mild respiratory infection lately?
I'll go out and collect it shortly. No one is acting sick at all or lethargic. Crushed shells are regularly fed back to the flock as most of the eggs we eat are boiled. They are free range and other than scraps and eggshells do not receive any other feed. The flock is about 3 years old now and only one chicken is laying these eggs and I'm assuming it's the same chicken that laid this thing too. All other eggs are perfect except one every day and I'm not sure which chicken it is either

Most chickens do best when they get a balanced layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser feed. It has calcium, and the all flock is supplemented with crushed oyster shell. I use crushed egg shells as well, but I would get some crushed oyster shell, since it lasts a long time.

Most chickens do best when they get a balanced layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser feed. It has calcium, and the all flock is supplemented with crushed oyster shell. I use crushed egg shells as well, but I would get some crushed oyster shell, since it lasts a long time.
I appreciate the info but my flock is 3 years old and has been on the same diet for 3 years with no issues. This is recent so I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with her

I appreciate the info but my flock is 3 years old and has been on the same diet for 3 years with no issues. This is recent so I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with her
Everything works until it doesn't.
Unfortunately, unless you live somewhere that supports a feral chicken population, there's likely not enough nutrition in the environment to prosper. 2 1/2 to 3 years is typically when health issues get severe enough to show.

Everything works until it doesn't.
Unfortunately, unless you live somewhere that supports a feral chicken population, there's likely not enough nutrition in the environment to prosper. 2 1/2 to 3 years is typically when health issues get severe enough to show.
I understand and I do live in an area that supports that nutrition, so do you think this is from being eggbound or from disease

This doesn’t look like she is egg bound, but could be a problem with her oviduct. I haven’t seen anything that looked like that before. We occasionally see lash egg material or weird looking eggs, and salpingitis or inflammation of oviduct may cause those. Sometimes, though, it can be just a glitch in there laying. If you see other odd eggs or lash material, then it would be good to perhaps start an antibiotic.

As for their feed, nutritionists determine the protein, carbs, and fat content, plus the vitamins and minerals for each species. Our grandparents and older probably had their chickens on the same type diet your pa are on, but it is probably not the best. It can actually be less expensive to use a commercial feed. My dogs or cats could probably forage for their food, and I could probably live just fine on Snickers bars, but it wouldn’t be the best possible diet. It is good that you haven’t had any problems so far.

This doesn’t look like she is egg bound, but could be a problem with her oviduct. I haven’t seen anything that looked like that before. We occasionally see lash egg material or weird looking eggs, and salpingitis or inflammation of oviduct may cause those. Sometimes, though, it can be just a glitch in there laying. If you see other odd eggs or lash material, then it would be good to perhaps start an antibiotic.

As for their feed, nutritionists determine the protein, carbs, and fat content, plus the vitamins and minerals for each species. Our grandparents and older probably had their chickens on the same type diet your pa are on, but it is probably not the best. It can actually be less expensive to use a commercial feed. My dogs or cats could probably forage for their food, and I could probably live just fine on Snickers bars, but it wouldn’t be the best possible diet. It is good that you haven’t had any problems so far.
I appreciate your concern with the health of my flock but the rest of the them is in top shape and very healthy. A foraged flock is much healthier than a commercial diet flock in my opinion especially considering the fact that we consume these animals eventually. I haven't had a problem in the 7 years I've owned chickens, this is the first problem I've had like this with a chicken before. Thanks for the info and your comment.

Back
Top Bottom