all who are hatching quail

Its not aggression you worry about it's disease. Chickens have stronger immunes systems and often carry diseases you aren't aware of. Those disease are typically fatal to quail. Click on the link in my signature for one example of why you shouldn't keep them together. If that's not enough I have far worse examples.

Thanks all. It died overnight. It was the last to hatch after 33 others. Guess the humidity drops over those days, when taking chicks out once a day, did it... Wish there was a way to get them out and not loose humidity...

If i raise a chicken (golden sebright) chick with my quail chicks do you think they'll get along as adults? I know chickens will kill quail as adults but if they're raised together would it change that?
Here is a recent post from one of our members, and the message isn't getting through. In one of this members replies, he stated that he was under the belief that it was OK to raise them together. A lot of our new members read this thread and figure "since it doesn't say I can't raise them together, so that must mean it is OK to raise them together."

I was planning on creating a collage of quail photos that members kept with chicken as an example to others with hopes that it can become a sticky thread; maybe an article with links to the original thread, or something along those lines.

AND I know there are others that will continue to say, "I've kept chickens with my quail and I've never had a problem". And yes, some members have done it successfully, however, they have practiced very good bio security and their chicken flock was kept in relatively good health. So congratulations to them.

For those that are still willing to risk the health / lives of their quail, just go back and click on that link in my first sentence and try to imagine for a moment that the little quail in that thread is you. Would you want that to happen to you? I highly doubt it.
James

Thus chick was hatched by me from my own healthy chickens. Does that man it can still get them sick?

We're on lockdown and day 16...I just went and peeked through the windows and noticed one of the chicks has piped it's shell!! I about bursted with joy!! These will be my first chicks that I've EVER hatched!!

Did one finally hatch?
Yeah. I had to help get some of the membrane off that had dried on it. My humidity was a little low. It was about 3 days early after checking the calendar and the second one hasn't moved. I am going to candle it tonight and see if I can see any movement and add some more water to raise the humidity. It is super cute but so clumsy compared the the quail.

The last quail chick that hatched is about the size of your button chicks and hasn't really grown much. It's toes are still a little curled and it looks more fuzzy then the other chicks. It is cute and so fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom