I keep about a 3” depth of this sand inside my coop. This sand is washed and the grains are like smooth little pebbles. It makes the perfect grit for the birds and it is fun to play in when it’s first put down. I add to when needed and completely replace the sand once a year.
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
What do you do with the 'old sand?

There is a huge difference between the two kinds of sand.
Am well aware, having used sand to mix concrete for sculptures for about 5 years. Learned there are LOTS of different kinds of sand out there, and no standards or accurate 'names'.

Still don't think it's the best coop bedding, it's a lot of work.
But to each their own.
I used to mix sand(the good kind) with PDZ on the poop boards,
until I could not find the good stuff any more.

How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
What do you do with the 'old sand?

Am well aware, having used sand to mix concrete for sculptures for about 5 years. Learned there are LOTS of different kinds of sand out there, and no standards or accurate 'names'.

Still don't think it's the best coop bedding, it's a lot of work.
But to each their own.
I used to mix sand(the good kind) with PDZ on the poop boards,
until I could not find the good stuff any more.
@aart, I definitely was not meaning to lecture you at all. Please forgive me since I obviously gave that impression. Of all people, you aren’t the one who needs lecturing. I was mainly agreeing with what you were saying, but then went into explaining to the OP about sand.

My largest coop, the one I use sand in, is completely enclosed and is 12’9” x 10’9” and my smaller coop is open-aired with a dirt floor.

First of all, it is amazing how the sand disappears throughout the year. The chickens are able to move it all around the yard, if you catch my drift. But, when I do clean the coop out, I shovel/sweep it out the door into my run’s vestibule, my coop/run connector. From there it goes wherever, but mostly forms more ground base. I have cleaned the sand out so far a total of three times, fixing to be four in a month or so.

When I started looking for the type sand I wanted/needed I asked to actually look at the grains. I finally found what I was looking for at a lumber yard about 20 minutes away, and it is called Medium sand.

I tried sand on my poop boards, but I prefer to scrape the boards than scoop them so I changed back. However, I do scatter/spread PDZ across my poop boards. It decimates the wetness and odor.

aart, I know exactly what you’re saying, but I really think the TYPE of sand used is key.

The fine, kids’ play sand is a big no no!

DO NOT USE THIS KIND OF SAND!
View attachment 2511352

I know this first hand as I had some on hand and used it when I first put my chicks over in the storage side of the coop (to get them out of the house) when I was still working on the chicken side. Of course I put their nipple waterer and feeder in there. :duc:th

Chicks + Nipple Waterers = FUN for them & a MESS for me. And it STINKS!!!

The perfect sand to use in the coop is washed, construction grade or, as it is known in my area,
MEDIUM sand. There is a huge difference between the two kinds of sand.
View attachment 2511353

I keep about a 3” depth of this sand inside my coop. This sand is washed and the grains are like smooth little pebbles. It makes the perfect grit for the birds and it is fun to play in when it’s first put down. I add to when needed and completely replace the sand once a year.

The humidity here in Alabama is so thick there are times you could cut it with a knife. However, I do not keep water in the coop. It is completely dry inside. I have had the occasional egg be dropped and cracked in the sand before, and what the chickens don’t gobble up will be in a clump in the sand. I scoop it up and take it out with the poop and make sure there is no wetness left underneath the sand. (I keep paper towels on the storage side of the coop. :oops: They are invaluable!)

Please don’t be afraid to try sand if you want it. I wouldn’t have anything thing else in my coop.
I live in the Fl Panhandle, where we have incredibly high humidity. I do not plan on keeping my water inside the coop. In the picture above, I am not sure if you can tell, but my coop is raised. The argument here with my husband is sand may be too heavy as our barn does not sit on the ground. Does your coop set on the ground, or is it raised like mine? Also, thank you for your previous reply. You had many good key points 😁

I live in the Fl Panhandle, where we have incredibly high humidity. I do not plan on keeping my water inside the coop. In the picture above, I am not sure if you can tell, but my coop is raised. The argument here with my husband is sand may be too heavy as our barn does not sit on the ground. Does your coop set on the ground, or is it raised like mine? Also, thank you for your previous reply. You had many good key points 😁
I went back in my pictures to find a good picture that shows the lay of the land under the coop. It wasn’t desirable, but it is what it is. Anyway, you can see how high the front corner of the coop is and the opposite corner is about 6” off the ground. Also, don’t know if it makes any difference, but another 1/2” layer of plywood went down on top of the initial layer, total of 1” subfloor, with hardware cloth underneath.

F088D4E9-19FF-4444-B2D9-3B5D65348D55.jpeg

I honestly think sand would be fine in that building. It isn’t much different in size than mine. I’m sure it has the “skids/runners” underneath that would provide great support as well.

Tell your DH not to worry cause chickens don’t weigh that much. :lau But if he doesn’t buy that and is still worried, the floor looks high enough to allow you to crawl up underneath and put some well placed blocks and shims for added support.

I honestly think sand would be fine in that building. It isn’t much different in size than mine. I’m sure it has the “skids/runners” underneath that would provide great support as well.

Tell your DH not to worry cause chickens don’t weigh that much. :lau But if he doesn’t buy that and is still worried, the floor looks high enough to allow you to crawl up underneath and put some well placed blocks and shims for added support.
Here are pictures of the underneath. I'm not sure why it's built with 2x4's 🤦‍♀️
received_1120028201790717.jpeg
received_457737168589237.jpeg
received_402569664173032.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom