Almost New Chicken owner in NC

Take a few of the eggs they are laying at your home and incubate them. Then you will have chicks of your own. You can make a incubator out of a cooler. Just do a search on this website for home made incubators. With the rooster you will have some fertile eggs and should have a nice hatch if you want to start your own flock. Its takes 21 days to hatch the eggs in a incubator.

Take a few of the eggs they are laying at your home and incubate them. Then you will have chicks of your own. You can make a incubator out of a cooler. Just do a search on this website for home made incubators. With the rooster you will have some fertile eggs and should have a nice hatch if you want to start your own flock. Its takes 21 days to hatch the eggs in a incubator.
Wow, very cool idea.. i thought i had do by one. I will check that out.. thanks

I'm at the "other end" of the TN state line - corner of TN and VA, tucked right up in the junction of TN, NC and VA :)
How are things going with your birds?
well they are less present now, coming and going. seems the neighbor won't take care of his chickens but wont sell them eithers.. sad thing is they are getting smaller and smaller in number.. I hate that.. Waiting for my hubby to have time off, so we can build a chicken coop. So Im fussing over a lonely widow duck now.. shes and her mate had been here a few months now and last night her mate went missings.. Im so sad for her.. Not sure what to do for her though.. I do have 8 white eggs down by the barn i thought were hers but they could be the neighbors chickens??? so I am leaving them be..

My husband and I just bought a little barn house in the NC mountains. The neighbor has about 10 chickens and 1 rooster who like to spend most of their time in my yard. Crazy as others think I have become fond of these chickens and after the birth of my neighbors twins, their time is none. I am hoping they consider selling them to me, as they (the chickens) spend much of their time in my place and i feed them. (I don't believe they get much care at home). Either way this experience has helped us decided & we want Chickens. We are looking into the best coop, and I am doing research to care for them. I am a cancer patient / survivor and there is something so peaceful about hanging out with the chicks! :)
Congratulations on your new home:) if I had to do it again I'd get the coop straightened out first before I bought the chicks or accepted the neighbors. Also ( maybe for others) id buy a shed/ barn . Building was a lot of work .. time verse saving. For me... I'd buy
Good luck!

Also a cancer survivor and love, love, love my animals. They give me purpose..I have to be here for them. Welcome to BYC. Coops can run thousands of dollars and then you find out they are not "the best thing"....take my word on that. I bought my first one for $3000 (wish somebody had kicked me in the britches) and man would I change a lot of things on it that are a pain in my behind. Since then, I build cheap ones and I did buy one little coop from the feed store which I call my "maternity coop". More importantly is whatever coop you decide on, make sure it has enough room (and a little extra room cause you're gonna want more chickens) for all your chickens.

I saw a shed for $1600.. 10x12
I wasn't impressed with the way the floor was laid out. ( cut corners for a few extra 2x4s. I agree with you totally. This is why I did it myself and I'd like to kick myself in the ... :)
Why is it that we have to do it ourselves even when our money "still" can't buy us what we want. Had I bought the shell, I would of added the extra wood myself.

Back
Top Bottom