Aloha from Hawaii

Lonomakana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Pa'auhau, Hawaii
Hi All,
I'm on the Big Island (Hamakua Coast). I live in an old sugar plantation camp that has more than its fair share of poultry.... All of which are fighting cocks. A couple of kids in the neighborhood didn't know that chickens lay eggs! My next door neighbors got some Jersey Giants (hens) and now I'm ready to jump into the mix. I fenced off 3750 sq ft. of Guinea Grass with hog wire (to keep out the wild pigs) and will add chicken wire this weekend. It doesn't get cold here but it can be really wet in the winter. This Feb. we got 48 inches in one 72 hour period! Maybe I should get ducks! haha Well, here I am. A hui hou.

Welcome to the forum!

I spent 5 years working in the tropics so I understand the rain issue. Watching dry stream beds go to flooded rivers overnight is quite a sight to see.

Hello and Welcome from Tennessee!!!
frow.gif

Dawn

Thanks for the welcome. I got the chicken mesh up yesterday with the help of two neighborhood 6 year olds. Went down to the feed store and saw a Chick-n-Hutch for $75 but I'll still just make my own with misc. lumber I have under the house. A mongoose ate the neighbor's eggs yesterday. He heard a big noise and found his 3 hens attacking the mongoose. I'm not sure who would have won, but he let it out of the coop. Mongoose are not an animal to mess with.

Aloha!

I live in North Kohala and know what you mean about rain. Last January I think I saw animals lining up two by two to board an Ark. Auwe! We havenʻt had any problems with pigs, but there are a lot of poi dogs roaming around. My neighbor free-ranges her Jersey Giants, but is constantly chasing loose dogs off her property. Any ideas?

Welcome
smile.png

A mongoose ate the neighbor's eggs yesterday. He heard a big noise and found his 3 hens attacking the mongoose. I'm not sure who would have won, but he let it out of the coop. Mongoose are not an animal to mess with.

I love mongoose. I wish they lived in the US​

lol.png
I meant "I wish they lived in FL" (since thats where I live). i don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.

Aloha Lonomakana from central Ohio. My dad's side of the family is all from Maui. My aunts and uncles also grew up in a sugar plantation camp. Actually I took my family to see the old Maui High School last fall after visiting relatives on Ohau.

We don't have any chickens yet but are getting ready for them next spring.

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom