Alpha and Beta Roosters?

WeFoChooks

Chirping
Dec 27, 2017
IMG_1680.JPG
Disappointingly, the $50 (AUD) I spent on a "POL Plymouth Rock" turned out to be a waste when the "POL hen" turned out to be a rooster (fortunately the breeder refunded me).
Now I have x2 plymouth rock roosters! But I quite like the younger guy now so hoping to keep them together.

The one at the back was mature and bought, intentionally, for $10 as a roo. He's the alpha and mates the hens, crows a lot, herds the group etc. The younger one (at the front), who is coming of age, tried to crow the other day but was quickly put in his place by the alpha with a swift peck and he hasn't crowed at all since.

Other than this, there has been no fighting at all, he follows around the alpha roo like a big brother, cuddles up to him to roost, and hasn't (from what I've observed) tried to mate any of the hens at all. It seems like he knows his place as no. 2.

Will this continue? Has he just decided he's not the alpha male and that he won't ever get to mate the hens?
It all seems a little too harmonious so long as he continues on with so much self-control and doesn't challenge the boss. (He does like to growl at the hens and the chicks to show he has some level of power but that's all he does).

There is also a third, Australorp rooster on the farm with his own clan of hens but he keeps to a different area. The two groups don't go into one another's territory. I don't know if the Plymouth boys have teamed up (strength in numbers) against the Australorp. (Australorps sleep in a separate pen an have nothing to do with the Plymouth clan.

Should I dare to hope things will go on this way?

I have over 7 roosters in the same flock, there's one King Rooster who guards and protects the hens. The other roosters just free range among the hens and don't mate. They're all getting along great and have been for over a year now, so I think you're safe to hope. There's always a squabble every now and again, but it should be over in just a few seconds. It's something to keep an eye on, just in case :) good luck with them!

Thanks
I have over 7 roosters in the same flock, there's one King Rooster who guards and protects the hens. The other roosters just free range among the hens and don't mate. They're all getting along great and have been for over a year now, so I think you're safe to hope. There's always a squabble every now and again, but it should be over in just a few seconds. It's something to keep an eye on, just in case :) good luck with them!
. That's good news!

There is no guarantee.The young guy as you mentioned is still growing and one day may decide he wants that too spot,however that doesn’t mean they will kill each other,lots of times they test strength and seems that they like to see who can last the longest,but,some do decide to kill each other but have never heard of two roosters being this close and then waking up killing each other,they usually already have soem sorta issues such as picking on the lower guy or even knocking each other off hens before they just decide to kill each other,and even then sometimes they still won’t kill each other but just switch position no matter how bad they don’t love Ike own another.And the guy would have to win a fight first to be absolutely ANYTHING.He probably isn’t reeling hormonal yet which is why your not having issues or not witnessing him mating.However,open rage with the other flock isn’t a good,their keeping things fair for now but that isn’t meaning they can’t run into each other one day.

Back
Top Bottom