Alright y'all, I want to hear how you are all winterizing your coops!!

I live in England, at let me tell you its already freezing here & raining here! (Then again whats new?!)
I started getting ready for the winter today. Over the last couple of days my runs have been like a mud bath thanks to the rain. Luckily I got my hands on some green liner and covered the run in it, Sadly it prevents them from not being able to scratch about but it also prevents them getting too cold and dirty. No more dirty chickens here!:) 

As for the inside, I've just added a lot more bedding. It gets really warm when they're locked up as it is! 

Hi. I am from England too, Kent. It has been so miserable the last few weeks hasn't it! My ducks have turned the garden into. A mud festival and the chickens have avoided the rain all together! I use wood chip in my run (they're e free range during the day but have a covered run for shelter). The wood chip is great, stops the mud and they love scratching around in it. I rake it over once a week to freshen it up. And it looks nice too. Plus it harbours insects naturally which the hens love to discover! :p

I'm gonna' get some of those chickens with feathers!
yesss.gif

I am in SoCal, I am thinking of adding a shower curtain to keep the rain out of the lower half of the open ends on their coop.....
big_smile.png

I cracked the window on the north side of the big door on my coop and stapled a folded towel over it to prevent direct cold wind coming in. I also do the deep litter method so more insulation for them. no extra light or heat source. I have still been getting 4-7 eggs daily from 13 hens. I put their water and food in the coop today d/t -6 degree weather of the next 2 days. we will see ow it goes. they seem pretty tough, although my barred rock rooster won't come out in the wind. I did notice a couple dark spots on the tip of 2 of his combs. frostbite maybe. he won't let me put vaseline on it. i may have to tackle him. lol

Back
Top Bottom