Alternative bedding for month old chicks

darlingdarla

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Laurel, Maryland
I raise my birds on paper towels and this usually works pretty well since I put them outside around 4 weeks old.
This year I ended up with two chicks, and I'm keeping them inside for a bit longer because my silky developed wry neck two weeks ago (she's greatly improved with vitamin E supplements but I'm keeping her inside and on supplements for two weeks after her symptoms go away).
So the chicks are stuck inside right now.
I've been keeping them on paper towels so I could clean their brooder regularly and thoroughly but for the past three-ish days try they've been trying to eat them. I keep a very close eye on them to make sure they don't get impacted or anything, and I change their paper towels whenever I see them scratching holes in it.
I really don't want to put them on shavings, that would be a mess, but I need to get them off the paper towels.
So I'm wondering if anyone has any alternative indoor bedding suggestions? I also don't want to use sand, I made that mistake last year and half of my house is still covered in dust.

I use pine pellet “saw dust” bedding, the kind used for horses. My birds eat some, but it hasnt been an issue. The do spend their days outside and I also provide grit...
The bedding soaks up moisture (not if they flip their entire water bowl though! and keep smells down. It also compacts down quite firmly, making scooping the poop off the surface super easy.

Back
Top Bottom