Alternative Feed Choices

refarmer chick

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 20, 2012
Okay so apparently its really difficult to get rattite feed here in my area. Yes, I order direclty form Mazuri, but after shipping, it breaks down to about $50/bag - RIDICULOUS! So, my question is - are there more natural choices for feed (like crops) that I can give them as opposed to pellet feed full of fillers and crap? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Okay so apparently its really difficult to get rattite feed here in my area. Yes, I order direclty form Mazuri, but after shipping, it breaks down to about $50/bag - RIDICULOUS! So, my question is - are there more natural choices for feed (like crops) that I can give them as opposed to pellet feed full of fillers and crap? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

I ran into the same problem ordering it here. The shipping jacks the cost way up. So I asked the local feed store to order it for me which they do. The upside is no shipping charge but the downside is it takes about 6 weeks to get here. I think they wait until a shipment is going to the feed store and then add my ratite feed. I have learned to plan ahead and order several bags. I am still waiting for the ratite starter though and I have three chicks in the brooder. I didn't think that one out very well. Just a suggestion.

So for the chicks you currently have in the brooder, what are you doing for their fed until it gets to you? I have about a week of feed left, but am worried about the gap between ordering and having it get here.....Any suggestions?

There are several threads on here pertaining to feed for emu. I give mine turkey finisher but was reading about someone else who feeds rabbit feed. The feed i use has no fillers or crap listed on the label?? Our local feed store makes everything in house so it is a good quality feed. They would make me emu feed too but I have to buy a ton at a time and I think it would be bad before it was gone. Either way it comes out to $10 a bag. My Birds are almost 1yr and they show no ill effects. Good luck

They'll eat anything, I would suggest gamebird or chicken breeder crumbles or pellets, they can swallow the pellets just fine. The breeder is slightly less in protein than the starter, but the calcium is much higher...almost 5%, while the starter is only 1.90% and ratites need more calcium for their legs. I was trying dog food, but its still lower in calcium and too high in fat.

Back
Top Bottom