Alternatives to livestock guardian dog

ghislaincote

Chirping
Apr 3, 2016
Hello all,

Since we have more and more ducks, we are considering to get an animal that could become our livestock guardian.

Do you have experience with livestock guardians other than dogs ? If so, please share your experience.

Thanks !

A scarecrow that moves in the wind might also help. I have no proof that it works except that when a neighbor stopped by, she walked over to it thinking it was me, :p. It is made on a coat hanger and can be moved to various locations during a day to create more uncertainty.
sue scarecrow2.jpg

Some people use donkeys for guardian animals. I had a donkey when I had guineas, and they got along very well. The guineas did not always stay in the donkey pasture, but I guess that could be arranged.
donkey guineas (3 of 1).jpg I don't know how they rate on protection compared to dogs, and some individuals may be better than others. Donkeys, like other animals, require training and care. (for example proper hoof care is crucial)

A scarecrow that moves in the wind might also help. I have no proof that it works except that when a neighbor stopped by, she walked over to it thinking it was me, :p. It is made on a coat hanger and can be moved to various locations during a day to create more uncertainty.
View attachment 2004720

My dog would bark her head off at that, and that would certainly keep the coyotes away! :lau

Back
Top Bottom