Alternatives to livestock guardian dog

ghislaincote

Chirping
Apr 3, 2016
Hello all,

Since we have more and more ducks, we are considering to get an animal that could become our livestock guardian.

Do you have experience with livestock guardians other than dogs ? If so, please share your experience.

Thanks !

My cats sleep all day. And the good hunter only guards one outbuilding from mice, voles, moles and shrews. The cross-eyed cat guards the basement from very slow spiders and the occasional cricket. I don't think my chickens benefit from their skills at all. But my Sheltie does a great job of keeping coyotes off the place, and we seldom have predatory losses thanks to her. A guardian dog doesn't have to be huge to be effective.

Some people use donkeys for guardian animals. I had a donkey when I had guineas, and they got along very well. The guineas did not always stay in the donkey pasture, but I guess that could be arranged.
donkey guineas (3 of 1).jpg I don't know how they rate on protection compared to dogs, and some individuals may be better than others. Donkeys, like other animals, require training and care. (for example proper hoof care is crucial)

....where are you located...what type of predators are you trying to prevent...what other animals do you have?

I am living in Le Bic (Quebec, Canada). Most predators are wolves, stoats, weasels, racoons. I let my ducks outside when they are 1 month old, so I usually don't have problems with flying predators. Don't have other animals for now except poultry.

Back
Top Bottom