Aluminet shade cloth?

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas
Any advice on using aluminet shade cloth over the run? I've only found a couple of posts that mention it & they're several years old. If it works for anyone, please post.

We have a run that is a 10x10 dog run covered with the standard black shade top. We've covered that with tan colored shade cloth. It's not enough. I would like to replace both layers with aluminet. I found a very expensive "desert festival" shadecloth that is 50% white with a layer of 50% aluminet on top. I could make something like that out of remnants. Would that work?

What percentage shade should I look for? We don't have any trees, so I need something that will provide a significant amount of shade over the top.

Last edited:
Update: We've had a lot of sun and high temperatures over the past couple of weeks. The ChromatiNet has continued to make a noticeable difference in temperature. It did rain once and the water did not pool up at all.

I ordered AlumiCloth 80% in the 10'x12' size. It was much cheaper than Aluminet. The customer service people said the difference is that the cheaper AlumiCloth is imported and Aluminet is made in the US. Here is the link: http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products/sku-AL8000__dept-172.html

It made a huge difference in shade and temperature. We installed it over the ChromatiNet.

The ChromatiNet does make a significant difference in temperature. It was sunny and hot yesterday. I walked by the white/straw colored shade cloth on the east side of the run in the morning and felt the heat radiating from the cloth. Around noon, I walked under the ChromatiNet and didn't feel the heat. I had a double layer of black with the white/straw colored shade cloth on top before, so I think that's why it looked so bright. Here is a link with more information about ChromatiNet: http://www.green-tek.com/shade_nets_chromatinet.html

Last edited:
This might be another option:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...l-ft_prefabricated_shade_panels;1fa6e215.html

I am a bit surprised at how expensive shade cloth is.

BTW, birds left in the open do suffer in the heat. There is a place near where I live that must have 50 birds running around inside an open pen of maybe half an acre. No trees, no vegetation. Only shade is a too small, but elevated house that sits in the middle of it. On a hot day, every single bird in the pen is crowded under that house, looking out. Packed in there as tight as any commercial house, even though they have all that space to roam around in.

Wish there was a way to put the owner in there to spend an afternoon with them in our upper 90's heat. Things might change.

I'm ordering some silver ChromatiNet with 80% shade. It's less expensive, so I'm trying it first. If anyone has advice on that, please post.

i use shade screen above the coop/run + foam insulation sheet

my coop/run is only 4 ft tall.. so.. on the roof i put some sheets of foam insulation i have lying around to help reflect the sun rays

and at 8-9 ft level i have a 6'x8' shade screen

so 2 layer of cover

it's pretty dang hot here 111-113 in the next few days

if i can reduce the heat gain through the roof it will help

How well did that work?  I am wondering what to order also.

I'm looking forward to letting you know. I just received the notice that my order has shipped. It took longer because I ordered a custom 10'x10' with tape & grommets. The total including shipping was about $80.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom