Am I a bad critter mama? (Sorry, kinda long)

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
We have three pets in the house, our puppy Jax and the two cats. Both cats are adults.
We aren't as (for lack of a better word) as interactive with the cats as we are Jax. Kitty doesn't like to be held and her only attention must be on her terms. She will come and sit on our laps at night when all is quiet, but will scratch you to ribbons if you try to pick her up at other times. KiKi likes to be held and petted and can be quite demostrative at times; especially when she wants her food dish filled. She likes to sit on mine or my DH's lap when we watch TV at night. Being cats, I give them attention when they ask for it and leave them alone when they prefer.
Both cats run to their food dishes whenever someone enters the kitchen. Since they are on a diet, I usually say something smart aleck to them like "you're already as wide as a bus, are you going for aircraft carrier status" or "you're not getting fed again, beg all you want"; things along those lines.
Both cats are fed well (but not overfed), always have clean water, good vet care; long story short I feel they are well cared for.

Jax on the other hand gets constant attention. He's a pup and a "velcro" breed to boot. We play lots of interactive games with him.

This morning I was trying to work on something on the computer with my DSD standing right over my shouder when KiKi came and jumped on my lap and went into her "feed me! I'm starving!" routine. I petted and talked to her for a few minutes, then handed her to DSD so I could finish what I was doing.
DSD said I don't think you should have cats. I was shocked and not sure if she was joking, so I said what? She repeated herself, this time with a little more force.
Ignoring the fact that DSD is someone that goes off for days and expects someone else to care for her animals (dogs & cats), changes her litter box only when it's so full the cats stop using it, etc., I am really shocked by what she said.
I've always respected my cats (past and present) as the solitary animals they are. Dogs and puppies need their humans more, IMO. Am I wrong?

You are probably too good of a critter mama. Answer a starving cat routine with some little morsel of a veggie that they really do not want. Save the good stuff for when they are not expecting it.

What a crock. From what you describe you're the perfect Cat Mom.

Old line "Dogs have family, cats have STAFF" comes to mind.

Either this twit doesn't know doodly about cats (as evidence by how they care for theirs) or they're just insane. Some cats, true, are attention hounds and love to be hauled around, but for the most part a cat will only cuddle when THEY want to. They don't give a fig about your mood, only about food. And even then they're very resourceful and can often catch their own so what the heck do they need you for? That's the attitude I've gotten from a good majority of the cats I've met. Adults that is. Kittens are a different breed. Still needing a bit of nurturing before they grow into their claws so to speak. But for an adult cat, I think you're spot on perfect.

Oh that just tweaks my nose. What a hypocrite.

Ummm... haven't we already established that DSD is a doofus and a mooch? Why would you be listening to her?

You are an EXCELLENT critter mom. You are relating to them in the way they need to be related to. If you treated your cats like you treat the puppy, they would go insane. Same thing if you treated the puppy like the cats need to be treated. Silly DSD thinking they all have to be treated the same.

Just ignore the twerp..
Want me to come down there and have a chat with her..
tongue.png

Your DSD has too much time on her hands. I have had Pierre for almost 14 years, and most days he looks at me when he is hungary, and then might, just might, want to love on me a bit when I am on the computer and the rest of the time he is sound asleep, usually somewhere he can leave thousands of cat hair on.
hmm.png
On the other hand, the three house dogs look at me every single time I make a slight movement and are ready for food, play, love, whatever you name it . . .don't worry about it. You sound like a wonderful pet mama.

Quote:
Well yeah and that's what I keep telling myself, but this is really sticking in my craw.
If I'm not mistaken her attitude to having animals is to play with them like play toys, when it suits her, but ignoring their basic needs.
Just a difference of opinions I guess. I've always felt that cats only tolerate humans because getting us to feed them is easier than hunting.

this is kinda funny cause i have questioned myself even at times. I love my cats, and care for them like i do my dogs, but!!! i dont dote over them. they dont like it, so i dont do it. Same as with one of my dogs. She loves tojump on my lap, get her scratches, then sleep at my feet......or whereever.. Sometimes i get family asking why i hold and play more with my other dog.....WEll!!!!!! because she wants it! or accepts it? ..It used to be from these same family people used to say......"leave her alone, you bug her to much!", then now, it's "why dont you pay as much attention" geesh... you know your good to them.. Be proud of you :)

Back
Top Bottom