Am I a crazy man with a gun?

Disagree about the shotgun. What do you think happens if you shoot a skunk with a shotgun? P U. My .22 Henry will give me a head shot every time, no smell at all.
Like I said I use it for the two legged predators... Anything else the dogs will handle or the Hotwire will handle.

I would not automatically kill anything trying to get to my chckens... I would go out and bang on a pot or let the hot wire deterr them. Even Snakes unless its self defense... And the meat would either get eaten by me or by my neighbor if we are still on speaking terms at the time.

Desert life is interesting... at least in my area.

deb

Thx deb. I was actually looking at the netting. I'm gonna do some research about it. Maybe find something on the forums here about it. I don't mind being outside all the time. But some days after working, I just want my recliner.
I hope to rig some cable to support it... There is a tree right in line with the place where I want to build the new poultry house... I can run Fencing down either side and fasten the netting to that.

Have to get creative when there are no trees.

deb

I use a bb gun if I see some predators. I'm not trying to kill other animals to keep mine alive. I have a lot of bushes/trees for my birds to hide under. Haven't lost any to the hawks though I've found some small native bird bodies laying around, I think they're drawn to the chicken feed. Since I got my big ass rooster I haven't had any issues with predators anymore. We have coyotes but they only come around at night when the birds are locked up. Lost a whole flock to coyotes when I first moved here and didn't have a rooster. One time I saw my rooster attack one when I forgot to lock the coop. (I have a camera in there with motion sensor to remind me if I do forget.)

I would say if your chicken care has turned into a second job then there is a problem. If you enjoy watching them then whatever, don't know why you're asking us lol.

I have set out with a rifle. Generally speaking it is not an ideal use of time if you work for a living. Assault rifle is a bit over kill and likely more expensive per predator controlled. The only times I have stayed out with firearm is when I had a bad guy known to be working flock like a fox does. The problem then was getting a clean shot on a critter that did not always want to hunt where I wanted to shoot it cleanly.

Fencing coupled with that dog, cover patches and possibly a competent rooster may be more cost effective with most predators. These days my most frequent use of firearm is to dispatch what is in a trap or shooting a raccoon or opossum out of a tree. Light rifle generally better for that.

I only let my girls out for about an hour and a half every evening, before dark. I am trying to keep them off the patio, so I am out there with them just about all the time. I don't sit with a gun across my knee, though. More like a leaf rake. As soon as I turn my back, they run over to the patio and poop on it.
This is the time I take to clean the coop, refill water and food containers, spray for flies and throw down some PDZ in the coop and run.
I am also watching for predators out there. I feel so thankful that we don't have issues with neighbor dogs or many hawks. My intent was to work in the garden, but today was the hottest day we have had for about 3 years. Not a good day for working in a dried up garden.
@Noobiehen, if what you are doing makes you happy, I say go for it.

I don't mind shooting a varmint, now and then, but I would not want to sit outside for hours standing guard. Too hot and humid. Mosquitoes and gnats. Boring. I have large runs for my chickens, a compromise between safety and comfort. The runs are protected on top, too, by metal netting. I don't let my chickens out of the runs, and at night I keep them in their little houses, where they are safe from nocturnal predators. I have pretty much wiped out or scared away with my traps the local raccoons, opossums and foxes, though I do hate having to dispatch the trapped animals.
Now, when I lived in Kodiak, I often had to sit on the porch with a high-power rifle in my lap when my daughter and her friend played in our front yard the summer when bears came often to visit the neighborhood. But that's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom