Am I a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledegg, Jul 13, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Ok, my roo suspect is showing even more signs of being a roo. He is a speckled sussex about 5 weeks old. This is my first time raising chicks so I'm only going off of what I have read. Also, its' my only SS so I don't have another SS to compare feathering and growth to. His comb is becoming more pink while my 2 RIRs are still pretty pale. Also, we still have little to no tail feathers. His legs seem much more massive compared to my RIRs of the same age as well. Can I get some expert opinions? If it is a roo, I have to get rid of him, sooner rather than later. He's our most friendly chick too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Opinions??

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    That comb, those legs.... he is a roo [​IMG] its always the favorites.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Wow what do you look for in the legs? I have one with more comb then the others too.

4. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    His/ her legs are just thicker than my RIRs, but it could just be because it's a different breed. I have nothing else to compare this guy to for reference. I did find a picture of a SS roo and SS pullet at about 5 weeks and the pullet looks more like mine so we'll hang on a little longer and keep our fingers crossed.

Anyone else have an opinion?[​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Prominent comb at only 5 weeks....I vote Roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by