Am I being cheap or frugal?

Frugal! I always pack a cooler and my crockpot when we go on trips. We have cold food for lunch and crockpot meals for supper. Much better than McDonalds or the like!

SMART!!!!! aka Frugal

at least you know what you are eating... i never feel well after eating out for many days at once.. like on a vacation

FRUGAL! I used to do this in college when I traveled during Spring break. My meat balls and gravy beat fast food junk ANY DAY!

Quote:
Did we grow up together? I remember sitting on the side of the highway while Mom produced a little picnic in the middle of nowhere!

We use to do that all the time when I was a kid, its one of my favorite memories. I guess my mother has forgotten what its like to have to stretch a paycheck.

Good to know I'm not the only one whose parents did the roadside picnic..
gig.gif

We used to go to Cade's Cove down in the Smokies...jeez, I dunno how many times a year when I was a kid, and we'd always park then hike off the beaten path a bit (or a mile...or three) to have a picnic lunch.

It's fun, right?!?
thumbsup.gif

Not to mention...the absolute best part of camping is EATING LIKE A PIG, and if you do it right, there's not a fast food joint within an hour of wherever you end up.. If you want it, you make it, and everything tastes better when you're eating it in a lawnchair tucked just inside the treeline, down near the water's edge..

Ahhhh, bliss.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Did we grow up together? I remember sitting on the side of the highway while Mom produced a little picnic in the middle of nowhere!

We use to do that all the time when I was a kid, its one of my favorite memories. I guess my mother has forgotten what its like to have to stretch a paycheck.

I heard that happens with old age....
lol.png

I think you're being frugal. When we take long trips, or even go to an amusement park, we always pack food. Stuff is outrageously expensive out on the road!

Another thing we have done is split a meal at a resturant, because the portions are so large and we usually end up taking home the leftovers anyways.

Frugal...but who cares? We always bring snacks and such with us to the hotel. While I've never brought a crockpot, we do bring microwave snacks and stuff like that. It's often nice to have something to munch on close at hand.

When I lived in a hotel room for three weeks last summer (at a hospital in another state), we brought tons of food/snacks with us. It would have been ridiculous to eat out for every meal for three weeks.

Frugal and smart- AND FUN!

My favorite thing was my wonderful MIL in FL loved BBQ from SC, so we always took her a cooler full. When I would head back to SC, she always made me a BBQ sandwich for the 7 hour drive.

I'd put it on the manifold of the truck, wrapped in double foil- about halfway through GA it would be ready. So I'd stop, gas up, pop the hood - and get my sandwich! Piping hot and smelling sooooo good!
droolin.gif

Can't even describe the looks and conversations I'd have at that stop!
lau.gif

An old trick, I learned it from a biker pal in TX. Thanks Tom,
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom