Am I crazy? Does this look fertile to you?

Quote:
It's not her, she just started laying yesterday.
smile.png

Don't give Chewy away just yet. It still looks like a she to me and I know you'd just kick yourself if you gave it away and it started laying eggs. Crack open more eggs and look at them - that one may just look fertile and not actually be fertile.

I wouldn't give any of your birds away yet...

I feel more confident saying your hens are hens, than I would saying that your egg is fertile. I think it maybe just *looks* fertile, but isn't a true bullseye. Have you cracked any super obvious bullseye eggs?

Quote:
I have to agree. While I thought the egg looked fertile I only see females in your pictures.

I've seen this before in my own birds. I have not had a rooster here since he declared himself in midsummer, but in October and November, we got an egg or two that looked like this. A sort-of bullseye. I had read the thread regarding the appearance of fertile eggs, and am still somewhat confused. We have one undeclared bird. It is a Barred Rock, and larger than the other BR. Smaller comb and wattles, and had never laid an egg. We actually heard crowing one day, but couldn't identify if it had actually come from that bird, or not. We put the two BR's in the tractor, alone, and voila! two eggs that look slightly different colors. No eggs since that we can attribute to that bird, though, no crowing, and no more ?fertile eggs. I guess that it could be non-fertile. Just a slightly different-appearing non-fertile. I hope someone comes along who is an expert at this.

Back
Top Bottom