Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rlcrn02, Mar 9, 2016.

1. rlcrn02

rlcrn02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    So this is Henrietta. When we got her as a day old last April I was a newbie. I was told that she was a cuckoo maran. When I noticed feathers on her legs, I researched the breed and saw that this could be from the french line, so didn't really think much more about it. As she grew, she got fluffier and fluffier. I still was thinking she was a maran. Her eggs aren't extremely dark but are a 4 on the maran scale. So we just got 11 new chickies a week ago. One is a black Cochin we named Penny. 2 are Cuckoo Marans without the feathers on their feet. TODAY, I suddenly had a revelation... Henrietta is a Cuckoo Cochin. So I am asking for opinions from those more experienced and knowledgeable than I, what do you think?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You are correct, she's a very pretty one too, though I think they are called barred.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. rlcrn02

Apr 22, 2015

Thanks! She is one of our favorites! Funny personality. She is definitely a keeper even though she isn't a Maran! ;)

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Really, the best way to answer your question is to pick her up and look at the bottoms of her feet. If they are yellow, she is a Cochin; if they are pink, she is Marans. She doesn't look like a Marans to me--but I would not rule out her being a cross (the pink feet would be dominant).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's a barred Cochin. Such a pretty girl! I have bantam barred Cochins coming later this year, I hope my birds are as fluffy as she is.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she is a beautiful barred cochin. She is so fluffy I would love to give her a hug.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Agreed, she's lovely! I just ordered a few barred Cochins (and blue and splash), hopefully they're as pretty as your girl! I used to breed them and miss them tons, they're wonderful birds :)

8. rlcrn02

Apr 22, 2015

She actually has pink feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by