1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I doing this right? First time raising chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by travisd, Mar 30, 2017.

1. travisd

travisd New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    So I had a spontaneous buy while at big r and am enjoying every minute so far. I have them on medicated feed mixed with ground up oatmeal that I mixed into the food had some diarrhea with a few of them and read on here that oatmeal helps take care of it. So far it is working. I am also giving them vi tal water additive. Just to give and make sure they are healthy. I got 6 chicks in a old dog crate that isn't being used so I took the lid of and am using that to grow them up in. They seem happy when they are awake and eating and drinking a lot as well. Just wondering if there is anything else I should look out for? Here is a few pics of the cuties. If you see anything wrong let me know. They are a week old sometime they sleep right up front next to the light and others times they are sleeping a few feet away. Don't have a thermometer yet but getting one soon. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. travisd

travisd New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Looks like the light is far enough way to create a cool spot back by the water drinker. They would be peeping loudly if they were too cold. Food, water, clean bedding... Just make sure a dog can't get in there and you're all set! As they get older you'll want to put a brick under the water drinker to reduce the amount of shavings that gets kicked into it. You'll know when it's time to do that. LOL

4. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

I would look into getting something quite a bit larger. They will out grow the crate within a week or two. They will also be able to hop/fly out without some kind of lid on such a low walled container. At some point, you may want to switch to nipple waterers. They're far less messy! A bit off topic, but I'd also suggest looking into fermenting the chick's feed. It reduces consumption thus cost and reduces waste & mess.

ETA: And welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by