Am I feeding my ducks the right food?

I bet this Purina Flock raiser food is more expensive than the traditional layers pellets or chick starter you can buy in the feed store too. Also how can it be suitable for 'all ages and stages'? That just does not make sense.
Actually you can, if you contact purina they will glady send you a list of ingredients, it is also not more expensive than a layer or a chick starter at my mill. As for all stages, well frankly in the wild feed doesn't get broken down by aging. Like Miss Lydia i use Purina flock raiser and do a free choice oyster shell for the girls, i am also slowly adding some whole oats and the birds free range. I have raised quite a few babies with this method including my chickens, all seems A-ok here, i do think there are various ways to feed and each person has every right to their own method however that said i think it's important to hear from actual users of products giving input.

Last edited:
Miss lydia.. they look full grown and ohhhhh boy!! I got my first egg!! I am so excited.. it's the size of a regular chicken egg! Its beautiful
wee.gif

I saw the posts about not feeding roosters laying pellets but I can't believe people separate the food...and how would you? Storey's book on ducks says ducks can lay at 16 weeks (4 months) and to switch them to laying food about 3-4 weeks before then. So, I think at this point you are okay to feed them layer pellets. That's what I feed my ducks(layer pellets for chickens/poultry) and switch them at just about 4 months. You could try something like flock raiser and put out crushed oyster shells for the calcium your female ducks need to form hard shells. I don't know if the rooster would eat it or not. The layer pellets did not provide enough calcium for my ducks, so I also use the oyster shells.

I saw the posts about not feeding roosters laying pellets but I can't believe people separate the food...and how would you? Storey's book on ducks says ducks can lay at 16 weeks (4 months) and to switch them to laying food about 3-4 weeks before then. So, I think at this point you are okay to feed them layer pellets. That's what I feed my ducks(layer pellets for chickens/poultry) and switch them at just about 4 months. You could try something like flock raiser and put out crushed oyster shells for the calcium your female ducks need to form hard shells. I don't know if the rooster would eat it or not. The layer pellets did not provide enough calcium for my ducks, so I also use the oyster shells.
I've never seen any of my roos or my drakes eat the oyster shell. Thats not to say they may have tried it and I didn't see them, but I doubt they would make it part of their diet.

Back
Top Bottom