Am I going to freeze my chicks?

Unsworth

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2015
South Central Michigan (Parma)
Hello,

I have raised chickens for years but not since I moved to this cold climate. (Michigan) I have 22 chicks in my basement. I have expanded their home to big boxes but they need to get out of there the sooner the better. I have a very tight (safe) chicken house ready for them but it is still getting down to freezing at night. If I put my two heat lamps out there will that be enough to keep them warm enough? It will not be drafty. They would be about four or five weeks old. I have never had to deal with cold weather like this before.

How big is the coop? It's very likely that even one heat lamp in there would make things too warm. I moved 4 week old chicks out to the grow-out coop in January. They had been off their heat source for about a week, they were used to our normal temps of about 40*. The following night, we got a freak cold snap and temps dropped to 16 degrees. The chicks were fine.

The chicken house is about 8 X10 feet. You can walk in it. I think the heat would dissipate from the lamps quickly but I thought if they needed a spot they could stay warm in they would at least have that.

I just hung the one lamp last year and I had 33 Chicks....They all huddled under the one lamp...Do what makes you feel happy.....They will be fine nestled in the bedding under the lamp.....
I just moved my Broody Hen and 7 Chicks to the out side coop/Run Brooder today and they will be fine....My Hen is a Bantam and the Chicks she hatched are huge Orpington , Brahma , Ameruacana crosses.......Too big to hide under Mom now......;)

Best wishes......

Cheers!

The chicken house is about 8 X10 feet. You can walk in it. I think the heat would dissipate from the lamps quickly but I thought if they needed a spot they could stay warm in they would at least have that.
If you're really worried about it, you can give them a huddle box. The smaller space holds in their body heat for more efficient snuggling.

Back
Top Bottom