am I just totally missing something about power car locks?

Thats why my car has manual windows, locks, lights, and transmission!
lol.png

All those bells and whistles are just more to go wrong IMHO.

My Jeep gor repossessed and I had to find a cheap car. We found a Ford Contour for $600. I haven't even driven the car yet and I hate it!

It needs a new alternator that requires you disassemble half of the car to remove the danged thing, it also need new front brakes, rotors and struts. Also for some mysterious reason, one of the back doors will not open at all from the inside or out.
We are buying it from a tow lot that took ownership of it after it was abandoned, so there is no key to the door locks, the ignition key was made by the tow people. So I am having keyless entry installed until I can replace the locks themselves.......You are prolly scratching your head on that one......It actually costs less to have the keyless entry installed than it does to have all 4 door locks and the trunk lock replaced.

I personally love the auto door locks or keyless entry, cos I just push a button and I'm in!

I miss my Jeep!!

Quote:
My Dodge truck is a bare bones 4x4. I wish it had power windows though, I like to drive around with the windows down and I hate having to lean across to adjust the passenger window.

I used to have a '90 something Thunderbird that had all the bells and whistles; power windows, power locks, power seats, power lumbar support, mileage computer, and other things. It even had a sensor that would switch the headlights to low beams when it sensed another car's headlights coming toward you. That was a nice car. I lived on a Pacific island for several years and it developed some rust problems, so I sold it before I moved back to the states.

Sometimes I really miss the cars with just the basics(well basic imo) like windows you crank open yourself...and yes a tape player.Do they even make those things anymore?My moms 1999 corolla car had manual windows.My first car was a 97 honda and had power windows that gave out the day I drove the used car off the lot!!!

The car dh recently bought me doesn't even need a key.I need my little black box that the car senses,and then I can press the on button.Not sure if the car will lock if the box is in the car,and the car is on.I bet it would.I am grateful for a new car to drive the kids in,but I would have been happy with a very basic model new car.I do miss the old ford truck dh traded in for the car.Can't haul any big stuff anymore.

I was just telling the kids a few days ago about missing the old fashion metal and rubber bumpers too.I know they aren't that pretty,and maybe they lessen your mpg...but darn they were good in minor crashes.One 15 mph hit and I am looking at 2 grand in body repair these days.

And insurance on these news cars is just crazy.It will be $800 a year for just one new car.We could cover 3 cars for that price before.

I have a Ford minivan and I don't plan on ever owning another Ford
rant.gif

Fasten seatbelt signal flashes endlessly and makes loud dinging sound, when everyone's wearing their seatbelt

Passenger window stopped rolling down

Keyless entry fell off keychain

Hit the door locks and not all the doors lock. The only one that locks every time is the tailgate

The power side door closing mechanism keeps popping the doors back open again

Cruise control works randomly (was later recalled for this problem)

Tape deck stopped working

One of the seatbelts broke

Just a bunch of annoying little stuff.
somad.gif

could be worse...it could have been a dodge

the locks were meant to lock when you put it in gear. that was a deterrant to stop people from entering your car while stopped at a light or stop sign and keep you safe inside long enough to exit the situation. many people do not lock their doors while inside.

on a side note....if you leave your key in the ignition and someone steals your car, the insurance won't cover it. you're SOL.

I have a 04 Ford F350, which I love! except the auto locking. LOL
I dont mind it unless I go somewhere alone, pull up to the house, get out adn go in- THEN, run back out later to get something out of the back seat or passenger side door and the durn thing is locked. LOL

This one did take some getting used to, I had power locks on my 89, but no 'smarter than you' features.

One thing that I have learned to do.

get an extra key made- leave it in the ignition at ALL times.
Then use your clicker to lock and unlock the doors.

of course with mine (and this baffled me for over an hour one day- seriously) with mine, if you have a key in the ignition, and you hit the lock button, when you shut the door it unlocks itself. it refuses to allow you to lock your keys in your truck. the only way to lock the truck with keys in the ignition is with a fob. you can even lock it running that way- which is great for me, I drive a deisel, and prefer to keep it running on a quick trip into the store, or if I have milk and such in 100plus heat.

when I lost my key fob, I still keep that key in my truck, NEVER taking it out of the truck. I do have to take it out of the ignition, since I cant automatically lock it with the fob anymore. (I need to buy a new one)- I put it in the ashtray, then I lock the doors, shut them and get in through the keypad.

But, even before I had a fob thing, back to when I was 16, I kept 2 keys. ONE stayed IN my purse, it was ONLY used to unlock the doors. it went right back in my purse. The other stayed IN the ignition. (and at least one, usually two are always stuck under my bumpers. because I loose keys ALL the time. )- I might be locked OUT, but there is always an extra key IN the truck, so I can drive off after I get in. (even if I have to break a window to get in.... I can still drive off.. LOL ) Two things made me do this: I learned my lesson after someone had my keys out of town for 4 days and I couldnt even leave my own home. They accidentally took them, but still.
and once I swore my keys were lost IN the car, like between the seats, doors locked, everything, so I broke a window. come to find out, they were NOT in the car, and I missed school anyway.

And I've heard of people being hours away from home and having to get the keys brought to them cause they locked them in the car and couldnt get or afford a locksmith.

I have always had a car since I was 16 that had automatic locks (a 79 Toyota, 89 F350 and 04F350)- This is the first time I have ever had a fob. I WORSHIP my fob. LOL and I really cant wait until I can afford a new one. I love being able to unlock the doors from a distance. But aside from that, even just the fact that I dont have to walk around and lock all the doors is wonderful for me. Especially with kids. Hubbys truck is non automatic, and its a pITA.

Back
Top Bottom