am I just totally missing something about power car locks?

Interesting posts. I have a 2001 chevy 2500HD. It doesn't lock the doors on me... in fact, if I turn it off, open the door and try to lock the doors as I exit the vehicle -and the key is still in the ignition... they won't lock. It's kept my dumb self from being locking out more than once.

It's been a good truck too. It had an issue with wipers that was quickly fixed. Needed a new starter after a few years too. The fan speed selector for the heat/air only works from level 3 and up and the gas gauge has issues.. but the truck also has 140,000 miles on it too. Much of that has been towing a good sized pontoon boat so I really cannot complain about the quality of the vehicle.

Quote:
That's pretty minor stuff. You really can't expect it to be perfect forever. When things break I fix them or get them fixed, no matter how minor it is.

We each bought brand new 4x4s in 1999, a Ford Explorer and a Dodge Dakota. We paid the loans off in 4 years and 10 years later they are still great trucks. Hopefully they will last another 10 years.

It's not just certain Fords. My wife's Toyota Avalon will lock the keys in if you give it a chance. The part that most annoys me is when I unlock the doors, then pop the trunk to put something back there, the doors will relock. Of less annoyance since I am usually the driver, but when you put the car in gear, all doors lock. When you stop the car, the driver's door only will unlock. I don't drive her car that much, only long trips, so neither of us remembers to unlock the passenger door when we stop somewhere. I'd much prefer it locks the doors when I tell it to and unlocks the doors when I tell it to and not at any other time, although I can't complain if it locks everything when the car is in gear.

Anyway, your question was, are there any benefits to automatic locks. I think the dis-benefits mostly depends on how the darned thing is programmed. Some I think may be benefits.

1. They keep someone from entering your car when you stop at a traffic light. Somebody else mentioned that one.

2. You can unlock the back doors and passenger door without all that twisting around and reaching.

3. You can lock the other doors without all that twisting around and reaching.

4. You can unlock all doors ar one time instead of having to go to each door if you and others are entering your car.

5. If it is raining, you can get the door unlocked faster.

All I can think of right now.

Quote:
I guess those are only benefits if you routinely lock your doors
lol.png
I'd just rather that they NOT lock. Ever.

I just DON'T lock my truck. Ever.

The only time it's been broken into?? It was the landlady doing it so not your average type of crime spree, and they also busted windows out of several other cars in our complex to break in. See, I didn't have a CD player for a while, but at least I wasn't driving around with a duct tape window!!!!! Benefit to locking your doors??? I hardly think so.
hu.gif

I also don't have kids, or any kids in the close family, so I have no use for things like back windows that don't roll all the way down or child safety locks that won't open from the inside..... I do wish you could disable this car's airbag. I won't buy a car for myself to drive if it has an airbag. Another reason not to trade in my truck. Guess that's a whole nother post though.

I use to get bugged about me not locking my convertible.... Sure someone may steal my $20 radio but Ill just let them. If I lock it I get to replace a $20 radio an a $500 cloth top. Same thing when I had a T top. Been driveing 15 years now. Leave the keys in everything an the windows down. Not one theft.

Quote:
That's pretty minor stuff. You really can't expect it to be perfect forever. When things break I fix them or get them fixed, no matter how minor it is.

We each bought brand new 4x4s in 1999, a Ford Explorer and a Dodge Dakota. We paid the loans off in 4 years and 10 years later they are still great trucks. Hopefully they will last another 10 years.

It's had a lot of major stuff go wrong, too, I just didn't list any of it, since we fix it when major stuff happens. Earlier this month the "check engine" light came on and it cost me $1400 to fix whatever died inside.

86 NISSAN 4x4 all manual 87 Toyota Corola all manual, not even a radio. Stay unlocked with keys in em most times, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom