Am I missing anything for my first chickens?

Emily0918

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2021
I have been doing lots of research to best prepare for my chickens and I couldnā€™t be more excited!šŸ˜ But I want to make sure l have everything (already have a coop with roosts, nesting boxes, run, etc) This is what I know l need so far....

-feeder and waterer
-feed
- nesting pads
-fencing
-meal worms (for treatsšŸ˜)
- grit

Am I missing anything? also how do you feed grit??? Do you put it in with their food or sprinkle it on the ground?

Will do! Thank you!
You are very welcome. It sounds like you pretty much got it covered on what you will need. If you are getting layers be sure your feed has calcium in it or offer oyster shell free choice in a separate container. You can also feed them back their own egg shell.
If there is something else I am not thinking of I am sure someone else will chime in eventually.
So, enjoy your new friends!!

Nesting pads aren't essential - save up feed bags and fold them to fit in the nest boxes, and voila, instant free padding.

You didn't mention litter/bedding for either coop or run but keep in mind if the run is currently all grass/plants, that will get destroyed and then you will need some form of litter to control mud and odor.

I agree!
Some people do little buckets hanging in the coop. I use a pvc cap that I drilled a drainage hole into and screwed into a wood post in the run.
I also did the same with a cut down plastic milk jug. However, I stopped offering it because they dig up a truck load up pebbles and rocks in the run and didn't really need it. I sometimes offer oyster shell in the same container at times now.

Back
Top Bottom