Am I over-reacting about my Neighbor and his dog who ate my chick? (kinda a lengthy vent)

nope, I'm right here in AR. I have plenty of predators and I do free-range my birds. There are also laws that state that I am allowed to do that as long as my birds don't leave my property (they don't). There are also laws that say my neighbors' dogs aren't allowed to be on my property, especially if they are harming my livestock. The law also says that any dog caught harming livestock can be shot on sight.

It's not my responsibility to take care of my neighbors' pets. It is my responsibility to weigh my predator deterrents (my dogs) vs wild predators. The rare losses I've had from wildlife are nothing compared to the losses from roaming dogs. And those losses aren't just livestock but destroyed property and aggressiveness towards my family.

Honestly if the guy treats his dog like that the dog will NEVER get used to being around the chickens safely. If it tries to go after one of the hens again it'll get beaten. That's not going to stop the dog or teach it... It will just make the dog more scared of the person hitting it.

I do agree with stronger fencing... But even here in the city with all the animal rights yuppies you can do something about dogs on your property by calling Animal Control. Every time the dog is loose on your property (on anyone but the owners) it will be picked up and removed because it's illegal even here to let your dogs roam loose.

sorry, but no Zane. my birds on my property is my right. Someone's roaming dog (family or not) will end up shot. Especially if they find it humorous and continue to let the dog roam.
Whether or not you shoot the dog, your chickens will still be dead and there will be another dog coming along sooner or later to kill your next flock unless you protect them (do something before they are killed).

So sorry you have to deal with this stuff. I'd call animal control as someone has said any time you see that dog anywhere but on it's property. I agree you should build a stronger fence as you never know what could happen, but your chickens DO have a right to be on your property as well. I believe you DO care for your chickens, but just to keep them safe because we all know there are idiots out there who care nothing of others feelings, and natural predators, I'd do a stronger fence. My sisters dog got in our pen this last winter and killed all but 3 chickens, I chased her out of the yard and then we took 4 foot fencing, put 2 feet on the ground covered with rocks and the other 2 feet to the current fence. Now something will have to work to get in there and I'll hear it by the time they'd make it to them. We never thought to really secure our fence before as we've lived here 5 years with no problem from predators, and we have a lot, and the dogs never bugged them before.
It's good to vent when things like this happen. I tell you if he was my neighbor he'd hate me and know to stay clear of me, whether he be family or not. I can't STAND people who have no feelings for others or their rules.

Quote:
This is rational - try it first.

Also, strengthen the coop/run against ALL predators.

Finally, if all else fails, shoot the sumbitch and his dog. Okay, maybe too extreme, but it is your property, your chicks, and your feelings/peace of mind. The uncle sounds like an idiot. Who needs more idiots in the family? Every family I know has more than their share. You husband needs to defend you and limit the uncle's interaction on your property and ban the uncle's dog.

Kate
I know, I lose patience with some people

I totally agree. If your hubby respects your feelings he should have no problem approaching his Uncle about his rude behavior. The Uncle sounds like a bully.

What gets me is you said he did not realize you were in the coop when he was joking and bringing the offending dog toward your chickens? Is he doing this for sport?! Sounds like he was intending to let the dog have a go at the poor chickens again.
Also, how do you know he actually beat the dog or was just saying that to make you feel better?

I would not trust him as far as I could throw. Feel bad for you as it is not a pleasant situation to be in, especially being he is family. Still, try the suggested rational approach first. Keep in mind that you may need to people proof the coop n run as well so that certain prankster/bully types cannot open when you are not around. It is sad to go there but not just fences make good neighbors, locks due too!

Agree with most, and we've had to deal with the same thing from the "village idiot" around the corner and his beloved aussie shepherd. (Lost 67 birds in less than two weeks.) We went to completely building a fort knox deal that was so much work to keep clean, moved or repaired or whatever that we lost the joy of having birds. Felt bad for the birds, too.

We are in the US, in a lower 48 state, and we do have private property rights. We contacted both county and state officials and were instructed that:

#1 - if we catch the dog, we can kill the dog. And this pertains to ANY predator going after our birds EXCEPT birds (and two legged morons). (Can't kill them for being on the property - only if we catch them chasing/attacking.) Must immediately report and leave everything for investigation.
#2 - if we find injured birds, we must document (treat if possible), contact Animal Control and they are to investigate. This gives us the right to file a complaint against the neighbor, and a claim to the state for the state and/or county not "controlling stray dogs". The investigation proves to the best of their ability if it was a dog attack or fox, hawk or other, and "who dunnit".
#3 - if we see the dog and can report his presence on our property (with or without A/C present) we can file complaint, they will investigate. After # of reports, dog is picked up and destroyed for being "nuisance/dangerous".
#4 - with sufficient evidence, reporting, investigation, we can civilly charge neighbor for cost of damages (including fencing, vet bills, etc.).

We free range again, and have added dogs that are bigger than our neighbor's "new" dog. They don't play fair, and they love our birds.

Caveat: Know the difference between fox, coyote, weasel, raccoons, and dog attacks - you can not always blame the dog. Know the signs of each predator's mode of attack. Secure your place. Make sure husband is gonna stand up for you ... and make sure you find out what the law is in your area ... post your property and demand uncle keep his dog in his yard. Report abusive actions in the future. If he wants to train it to be a bird buddy - let him do it on his own property - on his dime. You can't have your place become part of his dog's territory. I suggest in the interim - keep a garden hose handy and ready to shoot - if the dog comes over with or without uncle - be ready.

Your Uncle is family, treat him with love and respect. It was a terrible accident. I am sure your uncle is hurt as well. Now you know that your neighbor's dog is untrained, so invest in a better fence or a better protection system!! And do not accept any sort of compensation from him, let bygones by bygones. Sow love and reap a bounty of it!! XD

Uncles are not dispensable like wives! Patience!

Can't count on people to keep their dogs under control. Chickens need protection especially the little ones.Repeated trespassing animals should be SSS if they are causing damage and harm.

sorry, but no Zane. my birds on my property is my right. Someone's roaming dog (family or not) will end up shot. Especially if they find it humorous and continue to let the dog roam.

You must be somewhere other than the United States, as there is no constitutional right to property in this country. Please familiarize yourself with said document before you consider voting in the United States. Also if you ever move to the States, there is nowhere here where there is not at least one predator (hawks, eagles, feral dogs, loose dogs, foxes, snakes, cats, coyotes, etc) that is eventually going to kill one of your birds during the day if they are not in a secure area. OP is angry at her uncle because she made an error out of laziness or a lack of resources. She can solve the entire problem by building an adequately protected area for her birds, which would eventually get used to the dog.

Zane, I believe you misinterpreted or misunderstood Dainerra's statement. Dainerra said "my birds on my property is my right". In most states of the US, the property owner DOES have a right to protect his/her livestock on his/her own property with lethal force if necessary. You may want to research the laws in the state/county/city where you live, but I know I have that right where I live because I have researched them. Based on statements Dainerra has made, it sounds like he/she is also perfectly cognizant with the laws in the state where he/she resides too.

What Dainerra did NOT say is that there is a constitutional right to own property in this country.

Hubby said he spoke with Uncle… so we will see how that pans out. Uncle is one of those people who only care about themselves and furthering their situation (especially since he suggested the replacement chicks really be HIS chicks... just live with ours and I take care of them).

We are building a covered run…As a stronger fence wouldn’t have prevented this tragedy, maybe a taller (6-8 foot) fence, but that is iffy. I know my dog can climb a 6 foot fence without a problem (and he has). So we are devising a covered run that won’t be affected by our occasional winter snows… because I do love my flock that much… The covered run will protect from coons, possums, dogs, cats, etc. as well as provide shade and sun shine (because they love the spread their wings out in the sunshine). We have a mesh screen to cover wood pallets that are forming the sides of the run (need to acquire a few more pallets). 10-15 PVC pipes will form an arch connecting the two sides, then chicken wire over the PVC. Cloth will go over half of it for shade, Tarp will cover the entire thing during the winter to prevent the snow from building up and sticking to the wire. So I already have the honey-do-list compiled and started, we just need to finish gathering materials and the rest of the structure.

My chickens are fine around dogs... but not the one who killed one of them and scared the living crap outta the rest (including the two she had in her mouth when Uncle caught her and began BEATING her). My dog comes into the coop with me and they go straight up to him. He will sniff them and they will peck him if he gets too close. But they don't run in fear like they did when the other dog came up to their home.

Uncle should have had the COMMON SENSE AND DECENCY to leave his dog at home instead of bringing her onto OUR property, to OUR chicken coop. Honestly... my dog has protection issues and I keep him in my yard away from Uncles business, home, and dog (because Nanuq does not like her to put it lightly...) to prevent any mishaps. I would only expect the same from a grown man. It's called responsibility.

I wasn't posting this to get flack or even suggestions about what to do with my chickens really... I had already figured out what I was going to do... Just not about Uncle... I was just wanting to vent to people who *mostly* feel the same way I do. I am taking steps to prevent further attacks because I DON'T trust him to control his dog. And I will protect my girls (and Bonsai) at all costs.

Back
Top Bottom