1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I overrun by roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cjsgrlsx3, Sep 16, 2011.

1. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Are they all roosters?

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    They all look like roos to me, except for maaaaaybe the white one if it's older than 4 months...

3. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    All along I thought the naked neck was a hen and I have been waiting patiently for her to provide me with an egg [​IMG] All of these are from this past Spring hatching.

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    The red feathers on the NN's wings scream roo to me... but where's his tail? I would've thought that they'd all have saddle feathers by now, but none look evident. Everyone's stances look rooish to me with the exception of the white one, and everyone's comb looks so big and red. The comb and wattles of my JG hen took forever to redden up and did so just before she laid her first egg at ~6 months.

By looking just at those pics, I'm going to say that I'm 90% sure that the NN is a male, 80% that the black JG is a roo, 70% on the blue JG, and 50-60% sure that the white one (EE cross?) is also a roo. Pretty birds, though!

5. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    I have no clue why he has no tail. He has never had one. Feels weird calling it a he.........I had no clue. What should I look for in a rooster? I have four more chicks that will be ready for the coop in a couple of months but do not need any more roosters. I am heartbroken because now half of my flock are roos and I have to choose which ones to keep and what do I do with the extra roosters?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:EE's are a cross. So there is no such thing as a "EE cross". [​IMG]

Chris

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    All of them look to be roosters.
    1- Naked Neck
    2- Black Giant
    3- Blue Giant
    4- White Giant

Chris

8. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    So it is official! Three Jersey Giants and one Naked Neck roosters!

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    How old are these exactly?

10. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    They were hatched in April so they are 5 months old. Picture of white ones legs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by