Am I the only 25 year married female that is...

Nah, I was 27 with four kids when I started this crazy ride.
smile.png
I wanted chickens for as long as I could remember and DH always said no. One day I just ordered them.
hide.gif

I am 25 and just got into this for the first time last year. I live in town and have never lived on a farm. I am selling eggs as help for the feed bill, I am up to 15 chickens, well 13 layers, 1 strange bantam that just showed up, 1 second generation chicky, and a rooster. Yea, last march my husband let me buy three 3 wk old pullets and that is what I am up to now. Oh and I have 14 eggs in the incubator for the first time.

Good luck!

I have worked in the corporate world from day one. Starting out as a paralegal assistant, to a paralegal, and now I do IT for an Oil company in Texas. I am 21. My girlfriend is in banking. Neither of us were "raised" on a farm, however, we now live out in the middle of nowhere, but it is only an hour outside of downtown Dallas.
big_smile.png

So nope.. you're not the only one!

Nope, your not the only one. lol!
I'm 26, 4kids, a cat, a dog, and now I'm a first time chicken momma!

My parents had chickens for about 4 months when us kids were little, but gave them away to a friend. Niether one of them could remember why.
roll.png

My corporate people don't understand either. Silently, I have the reassurance that if the world fell apart today, I'd have plenty of food and the knowledge to produce lots more!

Share gardening and chickens with your future children! My fondest memories come from my Memaw's backyard garden and plucking chickens for dinner with my cousins. Life was fun and we were full of love!

I have two boys and tons of nephews (ages 17-24) that regularly help me with my chickens. They have even planned a backyard chicken fry for the summer with our abundance of roosters! It's really cool when the teenagers want to hang out with us parents.

I guess that is the part of the story that the corporate people don't get.

GirlOnTheRun

Last edited:
Raised on a hog farm, went to live in the big city when I was 14 y/o (not my choice). Took me 18 years to get back home to the country. I live on the side of a mountain where I have a fishing pond, my shop, swimming pool ( parana nipple biting blue gills in the pond
lol.png
) a garden, and 14 arces to hunt on.

Yes, this is the first year of having cheekins for me, since I was on the farm. Last year I grew and harvested almost 50% of what my family eats. It has taken a lot of time to get the garden right, very poor soil. This year I expect that I will harvest 80% of the food my family eats.

The fruit trees will take some time to grow, but I canned and froze all my own jams, berries. Even when I lived in the city, I'd walk the tracks picking blackberries to jam up.

I am lucky to live just up the road from the oldest working Mill in America, Zanellas. For our breads, rolls, pancakes and so on, I purchase my flours there. All of my meat is local as I purchase it from the farmers market in Butler.

Now, it's great that you asked this question. My neighbor is a white collar city slicker who told me last week he thought I was nuts, I mean he said to my face "I think your nuts for having worms in your basement, growing chickens and canning all that food" Sheesh if I knew he was going to smack me down for my lifestyle, I wouldn't have showed it to him.
roll.png

Then I said " well at least my house isn't decorated in cheap fake country stuff made in China!!! "
lol.png
he looked at me, and smiled. then I said " about the nice only thing you have is that beautiful copper star I gave you for xmas last year ".
wink.png

The subject dropped and we both left it alone. So now I know he thinks I am nuts, and he knows that I think he's a city slicker who wants to look like he's country.

While on the same subject, you know what makes me laugh?
lol.png

Braggers
roll.png
They (he and his wife) often brag how between the two of them their annual income is over 110k. That makes me laugh everytime he brings it up, I guess because I have never discussed my money with them. Because I am a zealous American, live deep in the country, I have to have a good truck. So years ago I bought my first Hummer, and I trade it in every two years. That is the only thing fancy I own. I still won't discuss my income here or with him, but if I ever did, that would put him in his place!!
thumbsup.gif

yuckyuck.gif

So no matter your income, your position in your job, or what people think about what your doing. If your living your life, happy, and treating your fellow people and animals with kindness, who can say anything bad about you???????

LOL I got that from my family too. I was never raised on a farm and in fact had NEVER even seen a chicken other then on tv before. I'm not in my 20's but my family thought I was nuts. They didn't think I would like it at all but I LOVE it. Even the winter cold can't keep me away from my chickens
big_smile.png

I was raised in the country too and have found that if I don't do something ( planting, raising animals) etc, I just don't feel complete. When you are raising animals and planting things and growing things, It keeps you close to the Earth. There's a lot to be said for the healthy aspects of growing your own, But for me it is almost like a spiritual thing. If I can't plant something and make things grow and raise a few animals - I don't feel complete- period- Hope this makes sense to you. So do what your heart tells you. I haven't seen many people on here or other places that got chickens and just hated it !! So Get you some chickens and have fun. Since you are on this board now - you will have tons and tons of support and help with any problems. GO FOR IT!!

Wayne
n
Tennessee

I am 27, raised in a city, but on the edges with a little space around the house. My parents had chickens when I was a baby and kept them in the parking lot of the warehouse where they run their business. Everyone thought they were crazy! By the time I was old enough to remember, they didn't have them any more, so that doesn't really count as chicken experience for me.

In the last few years, I have lived by myself on a remote ranch property and raised veggie gardens and fruit trees and now my fiance and I have our first house, again on the outskirts of a city, with 2.5 acres, and have planted 15 fruit trees, are building large raised beds for a giant veggie garden, and are raising 15 chicks that are now in their fourth week.

We both work full time from home and while my parents are excited about our chickens, most people think we're nuts!

I'm with ya, sister!

Hah! I am 30 but if I had had my way, I would have had chickens long ago! I love them. I do think my friends think I am crazy but I am already used to that. I do other 'unusual stuff' that is only normal for some, like make my own laundry soap, or bread. So the chickens are just 'one more thing' I guess. LOL

Back
Top Bottom